St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

shreward

Post by shreward »

:eek:
Hello people,
I'm a new member and a novice fisher, but I wanted an opnion on this. I was just off the lighthouse fishing about 20in deep with a small pinfish when bam! something grabbed my line and ranout about 300 yards. We were chasing it with the boat when it 180ed and was under the boat. We got the engine off, but my line was tangled on the foot. Like an idiot I was fooling with the drag thinking I wasn't giving him enough and it broke the line.
Somebody said it was a mackrel, but I was wondering you guys opnion.
Matt
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Could have been a spanish. They are known for long runs. Also ould have been an oversized redfish or perhaps a cobia. The turning around and coming back under the boat is characteristic of a cobia.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

Sounds just like what happened to be about a month ago. cranked up the motor just to keep up. Faught for 10 minutes then slip under the motor, never saw it. Got to be one big cobia.. We'll get him next time.