Off Dog Island 12/04

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Off Dog Island 12/04

Post by qoutrage »

Freddy was at the back door at a little after 8, wanting to know, if I could go. Having fished 3 times, since returning to Carrabelle Sat night, I told him, I didn't think so. Besides, the street was wet and it looked like rain. And, I got a honey-do list about a mile long accumulated over the month, I spent in Ga. His answer to that was, 'it'll be here when you get back.
'What's Her Name' was watching me out of the corner of her eye, knowing I had used up all of my yard passes for the week.
Short of it, after checking the wx and finding a decent PM fcst, I decided this would be the last time, I'd go-- this week...
'Put in at the TikiHut and was on the water around 1030.
It was Freddy and me and a local friend of his, Steven- Another chance to learn from someone who has been fishing here all their life.
The weather was good with about 60 degs and high strato-cu clouds. 'Mackerel scales and ponytails' is what Steve called it.
The water wasn't as smooth as a babe's bottom, but close.
Around the W end of DI and 6 or 7 south to 56' of water.. LY's and squid were on the menu and the fish were moderately hungry. About 8 short grouper, several grunts and a nice red snapper were returned before Steven landed a 24" gag. This went on for 45 mins or so, then we moved a couple hundred yards to more fish.
Steven does it again, with a 30" keeper.
Freddy and I were fishing hard, but shorts were the best we could do.
By 3 we had moved 4 times and had 5 keepers, all caught by Steven. Not that luck was all there was to it, Steven was rigged with a 4oz lead over about a 4' leader of 100lb mono and 8/0 bronze hook, and fishing with, mostly, whole LYs. Better than Freddy and me, with our 18" leaders and in my case 8/0 circle. I tried his method for a while, but guess I wasn't holding my mouth right. That, and most of the time, I fished with half LYs- Bigger bait, bigger fish?? Maybe that was it.
We were back at the house by 1630. Total catch was 5 keepers 24-30" wt 38lbs, all caught by Steven. Freddy and I? About 30 shorts, grunts, and other stuff.
Not to bad a day, all things considered.
Forgot to mention, the water stayed pretty calm, but was up to a light chop outside the island on the way in.
Sorry, I didn't take my cam, so no pictures
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Man! Sounds like you're havin' a ball! Nice goin'! And thanks for the report. :thumbup:
max kirkland
Elite Senior Member

Post by max kirkland »

:thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good report. :thumbup:
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Great report !!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Have I mentioned that YOU SUCK :o :-D another nice day on the water :thumbup: But I bet it weren't near as much fun as I had shoping with the wife :roll: :-D :beer: :beer:
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Shucks Wevans, wish you could have been with us. You did the right thing with the shopping, though- 'Gotta keep'em happy, or it'll come back and haunt ya--