Making Freezer Fish Delicious!

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Making Freezer Fish Delicious!

Post by Littoral »

Easy Awesome Fish Cakes
I tried this a couple weeks ago and it was so easy and incredibly good that I have to pass it on. It’s my own modification to a crab cake recipe.

1. First you need fish cut in fillets (or boneless however). I used Spanish out of the freezer but it won’t make a lot of difference if you use any of our common food fish (reds, trout, etc). I’d probably use anything that might have been in the freezer longer than we all prefer.

2. Bake it dry. That means over cook it a little. I oil the pan and the fish a little but that’s it.

3. Cool the fish in the refrigerator.

4. Break up the fish in a suitable sized bowl. Don’t tear it up small though, make into small chunks.

5. Add Old Bay (my choice) or whatever seasoning you like. Then add some more. I’m sure onion and other stuff is ok too. Then add eggs & mayo. How much? The eggs help bind it all when you cook it so 2 or 3 eggs to a standard mixing sized bowl of fish will do it. Mayo? I add a couple big spoonfuls. The texture for holding the cakes together is what’s important.

6. Sautee (fry in a pan) over medium to slightly higher heat. I use butter but olive oil is fine too. I might even suggest using both. As the cakes start to brown they get firm on the bottom. The top is still soft so I use a spatula and a fork to turn them over.

7. Eat now or sometime the next day.

8. Catch more fish.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I made this with some grouper that had been in the freezer too long.
I used some barbaque seasoning and crushed Ritz crackers to help hold them together.

My family loved it! I couldn't believe it.

For my taste I added some "warmer" seasonings. Some times I like to sweat while I eat :P .

Thanks for the idea Littoral. Now I know what to do with the fish we have forgotten in the freezer, no more giving it to relatives :-D .
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

For a little less cholesterol, use the egg whites only and toss the yokes. Eliminating the yokes makes the color coincide with the fish..... :thumbup:
There's a 1000 ways you can customize this recipe.

I have to tried similar recipes and they are very good.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.