mashes sands 1/8

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DWilliams

mashes sands 1/8

Post by DWilliams »

The day started at 8:30 with Undertow(Jay), LiveLine(Brent), and my wife arriving at the boat ramp little water. After a quick study we decided to try it. Punched in a number and away we go. Anchoring was tough to say the least with the current and wind lined up and we managed about 6 keepers until 11. Me and Jay did three dives and the highlight was the 2nd. We were greeted by gags on the way down. At the end of the dive Jay waived me over. He was wrestling with a big fish. He shot the fish in a crack and the fish was stuck. I was holding the spear while Jay wrestled and then Jay was gone. With a little finesse the fish came out. I’m guessing 17lbs, but wasn’t the biggest of the day.

Waves 3’ and choppy calming to 2’
Water temp 60-63
Vis top to bottom

Tally:
20 grouper to ~20lbs
10 hogs
1 mangrove
1 seabass
4 tired folks
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Cool! :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm sure the vis was better than on the surface, at least it was from what I saw! :o How far out were you?

Nice tally of fish too!

Thanks for the report! It inspires me towards a New Year's resolution that may be a while coming!

PS: Saw a guy at the ramp yesterday who had a hog fish caught with a hook and line: I don't think that happens too often.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

WTG Guys. How deep were you?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

We stayed around 60'. We caught a gag last tuesday that was 15lbs and two of em that Jay had were much bigger. Maybe he got a pic and can tell the story about a gag and a crack with a small hole in 60'.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Cool, I had a similar story with my big gag at the Bryson on Saturday.
Tom Keels
Site Founder