Outfitting Your Fishing Kayak with Outriggers

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Outfitting Your Fishing Kayak with Outriggers

Post by Apalach »

Here is a great DIY project for those bleak winter months: rigging your yak with outriggers. I used RAM rocket launcher mounts for the PVC pipe, and lobster pot buoys as the floats.

1. Here is the finished project on my Hobie Outback using 1 1/4" diameter PVC. This size PVC fits the Ram tubes perfectly.

2. In order to provide a solid mount for the RAM balls, I used a 2" x 5" piece of aluminum stock (from HD or Lowes) as a backing plate and then thru-bolted the RAM ball mounts. This provides a fairly solid mounting surface and cuts down the hull flexing. I also used the right hand side of this 5" piece of aluminum stock as a base in order to thru-mount an extra SS eyestrap (from K-Mart) on each side that won't pull out. This is a good place to mount a port side handle for lifting the Outback. The 2004 and later Outbacks now come with a built-in starboard handle that is a very useful addition.

3. The floats are 5" x 11" lobster pot buoys from Hamilton Marine (in Maine, natch) mounted on 1/2" diameter PVC.
http://www.hamiltonmarine.com/

4. You use a right-angle elbow on the main PVC arm in order to mount the lobster pot buoys on 1/2" PVC pipe. Note below that there are several ways to do this using various reducing fittings, depending on what you can find at your local PVC supplier. Home Depot and Lowe's use different PVC suppliers so it is always a good idea to check out both sources in order to find the appropriate fittings.

5. Here is a second way to skin this cat using a reduction elbow off the 1 1/4" main PVC pipe or arm.

6. Closer view of one outrigger (using a 30 inch piece of 1 1/4" PVC) using the RAM mounts.

These outriggers work great, are extremely easy to use and remove, and provide a nice stable platform for sit-down fishing, or standing to sight cast or fly fish. Haven't tried the fly-fishing gig as yet, but it is probably coming.
Have fun,
Dick
Last edited by Apalach on March 5th, 2005, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice rig Apalach. Thanks for the O/R idea. I might be interested in a setup like that, myself.
And, kados to TK for giving us a Kayaking section on the board. I'm sure it will be a popular resource for those new or interested in kayak fishing.

Post by Guest »

qoutrage wrote: kados to TK for giving us a Kayaking section on the board.
Second that.
I have to say that my approach to setting up my kayak is plain by comparison. I do bring stuff sometimes (like a bait bucket & cast net) but more often the point for me is to get away from stuff.
My set-up is a PFD, paddle, two rods & my tackle box (a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag).
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Pardon the above post as "Guest". I wasn't logged in.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Outriggers

Post by Apalach »

g,
Thanks. It is not that difficult an installation so long as you have hatch access somewhere near where you want to place the outriggers. This allows you to do thru-bolting with a backing plate or fender washers and SS machine screws. I am not sure that wellnuts, or rivets, or self-tapping SS screws would cut it, since there is a fair amount of stress placed on the ball mounts.

There are several places on the Web that sell the RAM mounts. KayakFishingStuff now even has an outrigger kit that also includes the buoys, along with detailed instructions on the installation.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Another good source for the RAM mounts is KayakFishingGear in California:

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/catalog/index.htm
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

Hey Apalach,
Nice rig I need to rig my yak up
Do you do much fishing during the winter? I am not big on fishing in the cold weather but I am going stir crazy where is a good place in the winter to go. I will be going by myself so I will need a place that is safe I usually fish the Wakulla river when I am by myself becouse I know alot of people that live on the river but I think I need a big change.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Terri[/i]
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Terri,
Good to hear from you. I have been reading the inshore fishing reports and they have not been too encouraging about this time of year. However, if one really knows the area and doesn't mind a little cold weather, there are trout hanging out in some of the deeper holes in our local creeks and rivers. Personally, I will probably be waiting until things warm up a bit. But I would love to make contact with you and other local yakfishers for some "expeditions" down the road (or river...).
Dick
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

Hey thanks Dick for the info I really don't like fishing in the winter but like I said I am going stir crazy.
Most diffently I would like to get some other kayakers together to go fishing I talked with a long time friend of mine and he said he would be interested in yak fishing, He does not own his own yak but I have another one so that won't be a problem just need to get an adult paddle. We use to fish together oh about 20 years ago or more and he wants to get back into it, So now I know there will at least be three of us. Just let me know when
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

Ok Apalach I guess I want to take the easy way out on rigging my yak, Do you know of anyone that will be willing to rig my yak I have all materials just not the time really, Of course I will pay the person $$
Let me know if you or if any one else knows of someone thats willing to rig a yak. Thanks in advance ......TK
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Man! There is some artwork goin' on here! :thumbup: :thumbup:
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

EF Stabilizers

Post by GoneGator »

Check these out, I like the in and up function and also the fact that they don't ride in the water. Looks like 4 simple bolts to install, ordered mine today, will let you guys know.

http://www.canoegear.com/www/2004/kayak ... zers7.html
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I used to carry more stuff but I find most of it just gets in the way. Outriggers are temping but I can't see what they're for except standing to fly fish. I haven't bit into the fly gear yet but it's coming.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

I was thinking as much about safety as I was about stability. Especially if you go alone.
Terri Kelly

Post by Terri Kelly »

Hi Apalach...I am not much on cold weather at all but like I said earlier I am going crazy.
I would like to get up with you and others to fish this spring, summer
I really enjoy Kayaking while fishing nothing like it.
Yeah keep in touch and lets try to get a good group to go sounds like fun to me