Outfitting Your Fishing Kayak with Outriggers

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KayakAngler

Outriggers

Post by KayakAngler »

Hey Apalach...

Do you use your Outriggers alot or not that much afterall?

I'd hate to build them and then just pile them in the corner.

What do you think?

Thanks
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

KA,
To tell you the truth, my Outback is pretty stable even without outriggers. I got started on that project just because it seemed like a cool idea and I like to tinker. However, after getting them installed, a couple of times when I swung around in my seat suddenly to get into my ice chest and was not paying attention like I should have been, I was glad I had them! Like Litt, I have yet to get into fly-fishing, but that may change, and the outriggers do give you the ability to stand and sight-cast, or fly-fish.

What I want to try this season is to use just one outrigger on the port side (the side I normally turn to when getting into my ice chest or crate) and install the stock RAM rocket launcher on the starboard side to use for trolling. The nice thing about these stock RAM ball rigs us that you can angle them any which way depending on rod length, rod type, rod angle, lure type, chop, wind, trolling speed, etc. Now the PVC rod-holders on my crate, as well as the aft Hobie built-ins, do a fiine job of holding my rod(s) vertically while trolling, but can be a pain to get to quickly in the event of a sudden strike simply because of my bad back and having to suddenly swing around 90-120 degrees just to get at my rod. I also would not want to troll more than one rod from the crate, for example, because Murphy's Law would eventually prevail every time I changed course or slowed down, and one line or the other would probably get fouled.

So basically what I'm saying is that everyone's situation is different, and it is pretty much dealer's choice. But the bottom line is that I'm glad I have the outriggers simply because it gives me few more options (safety and otherwise) while on the drink. For me, a good analogy goes back to my days of backpacking in the California High Sierras. You want to have what you might need with you in case of unforseen emergencies, but you don't have the space to carry everything (although some would argue that point with me!). So for me, kayak fishing is to powerboat fishing as backpacking is to car camping. Whew--that was a long answer to a short question...!