Carrabelle/Lanark

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

I've never fished out of either area. I'm going to fish one of the two for the NFGFC tournament on the 8th. Best place to put in Carrabelle?
We'll probably fish inshore div., any suggestions on that area would be helpful.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

DD,
Thanks. It's a lot different fishing over here from my time spent fishing in Mexico
Beach and Destin.

Next weekend I'm fishing with my wife, so it will be fun even if we don't find any fish.

BTW, Check in the mail tomorrow morning for the tournament.

Ben
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

won't say a word.
grouper sandwich

Post by grouper sandwich »

Ok, inshore out of Lanark/Carrabelle. The grass flats on the back side of Dog Island to the immediate west of Tyson's Harbor hold some super large trout. The grass patches are small, but productive. Also try the creeks on the backside of the island.

Lanark flats are outstanding this time of the year. Try the gras in 4-5 ft. of water on the very east end of the last grass island. Also hit all of the finger channels that run between the spits. On the east end of the reef is an area of deep grass. Another outstanding trout and spanish area.

For spanish try trolling a #0 clark spoon on 6 ft. of 30-40 lb. mono with a two ounce trollig lead. Don't worry about getting cut off, it won't happen. Troll the area from the point on the west end down the gulf side all the way to the east end in about 7-12 ft. of water (right off of the beach). Pay particular attention to an area known as "The Stumps". You'll see it on the beach, there are stumps. The current really swirls there and the spanish gang up on bait on a moving tide. Dog Island reef is also excellent for spanish. Same method, just troll over grass in 6 ft. of water and you should be golden. I know these methods work because over the past 25 years I have landed thousands of spanish doing what I just told you.

As for St. George Island, unless you just feel the need to burn gas, the fishing is better at Dog Island because of less pressure.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

Always like conserving gas.
We'll(I will, wife will probably be sunning on the front of the boat) try these areas.