fish release safety?

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eric

fish release safety?

Post by eric »

I fish regularly out of the yak in fresh water. The fish are pretty easy to get off the hook because they don't have teeth and give up easily once out of the water. How in the world do you get 2 treble hooks out of a bluefish or mackerel while in a kayak. You cant bring him in the kayak without hooking your self and if your hanging a bleeding fish over the side are you inviting the neighborhood shark to some finger fries or a hand sandwich? Ive only been catching trout now and they are not to bad but still dangerous.
Any tips?
Littoral

Re: fish release safety?

Post by Littoral »

Good thinking to anticipate that problem before you bleed. I cut a treble hook out of my thigh last fall. I was so happy to put a gator trout in the boat that at the time I didn't care.
I'm over that dumbass move.
Carry a net, an pair of extra long pliers, and take your time. I also avoid treble hooks unless that's all thats working. Given that I love topwater that's not often an option.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Seems to me something like a rag rug from $ General would work pretty good. You fold it a couple of times and keep it beside you and as you are getting ready to land the guy, just pull it over your lap. If you get a hook or two in it just cut the out, no big deal. And use one of those lipper jobs to extract it from the water and help to control the floppin'. They work pretty good.

'Might be something better than that, but that'll get you thinking anyway.
mechanical_fisherman

Post by mechanical_fisherman »

I have a sit-in WS kayak I use against reds and trout quite often when I have time. For awhile I fished almost exclusively topwater from it (Top Dogs, etc. with trebles). I will try to describe the procedure I use to unhook fish for you. So far I have never been hooked or finned. I have two rod holders that I make use of. These are a Scotty spinning rod holder and a flush mount rod holder. I always take a landing net with me that I stand up in the flush mount holder. The spinning rod holder I leave vacant while casting (but use it for my rod when paddling).

When I bring a fish alongside I hold the rod in my left and scoop the fish into the net with my right. Leaving the fish overside, I flip the bale open and get some line to work with and then place the rod into the flush mount holder. I then lay the handle of the net across the sides of the kayak with the fish (and hooks) hanging halfway into the water and against the outer side of the yak. The net will not perfectly balance at that position, but a little pressure on the end with my elbow or forearm will keep it in place. I then take out the pliers and work on the fish in that position (the fish over the side). I don't worry about the fish getting away, because when the hook comes out the fish will still be stuck in the net. I have never lost one that way. After unhooking the fish I sometimes slip the net and fish into the spinning rod holder to totally free up my hands. However, the fish stays in the net until it is time for it to go on ice. The key to this whole thing is don't get in a hurry.

Don't worry about a shark getting to you before your are done unhooking. I have never had that problem. However, do not store the fish on a stringer. That WILL attract a shark.

Hope all this makes sense.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Also try bending the barbs down on the hooks....makes the release quicker....