This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

greg229

Post by greg229 »

Finally joined. I have enjoyed reading the fishing reports. I fish out of Mexico Beach and would like some advice on catchin pompano.
Lures, casting methods, and when they run in the spring ? I have heard that at point of Cape San Plas was a good Spot.
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

Welcome aboard. Sorry I can't help you though. Never caught a pompano :smt010
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Welcome aboard Gregg229.....Can't help you much on Pompano, never caught one...Heard jigs tipped with shrimp or sand fleas on the bottom are good for them though.....

I see your from Moultrie...I was born, raised and lived there up until a few months ago.... :beer: :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome Greg :thumbup: I'm in the same baot as JimR though :( but I have seen em playing in my prop-wash around Mashes Sands lots of times :-D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'll chime in a lot more later but they're in the bay more than most people know. I'll guess you have a boat so I can suggest you really work the deeper sand/pot holes along the point to the park & Eagle Harbor. I'll be fishing more of the bay this year than ever before because my father in law just got a boat & doesn't know what to do with it. A 23' Carolina V with 90 Honda. I'll be happy to help.
Welcome aboard & stay in touch. I fish the oil docks a lot when I don't have time for anything else.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Welcome aboard :thumbup: :beer:

Try some nylure jigs. Fishbites makes an orange tipper which is crab flavored... works okay.

IMHO they are sort of hit-n-miss though, one year there will be a lot of them, next year they will be gone.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, Greg.

I'm in the same boat with several others. I've never caught pompino. Atticus has probably caught more than anyone in our little group. He won't steer ya wrong.
What was I supposed to do today?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Re: New Member

Post by Atticus »

greg229 wrote:I have heard that at point of Cape San Plas was a good Spot.
You are a little west of me but I have heard that too. I have never fished over there but I have heard it was very productive for Pomps.

It seems that the powers-that-be allowed these little shrimpers (shrimp-trawlers?) back in very shallow near SGI where I used to fish for pomps a lot.

Since then the fishing hasn't been as good. It could be a yearly thing and the last two years could have been down years.

It is worth noting that the one year I had which was AWESOME (2002) for pomps was the last spring before these little shrimpers started showing up.

I don't know.

That same year (2002) I had to go to the public beach on SGI with my wife and bro-in-law, we had little rigs set up for whiting and we caught 75 short specks right off the public beach.

In the last two springs (little shrimpers newly present I have been told) I haven't caught one short speck off of that same beach (about 5 trips each of the last two springs).
FUTCHCAIRO

POMPANO CATCHIN

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WELCOME ABOARD GREG, WE CAUGHT 6-7 LAST SPRING WHILE FISHING FOR TROUT. WE WERE INBETWEEN THE CHANELS AT THE MOUTH OF THE OHCLOCKNEE RIVER AT MASHES SANDS. THEY HIT ON SOME SMALL SPECKLE PERCH JIGS THAT WERE YELLOW. THEY WERE NOT BIG, ABOUT 2# AND REALLY GAVE US A FIGHT ON OUR PINFISH RIGS. :-D :-D :-D PA
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome aboard Gregg-

Pompano - Cought several in the surf on St. George, none worth keeping...
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Welcome aboard!

Lit and Atticus are right on. They seem to run late March to late June. St. George and SanBblas are the best places, from shore that is. My oldest daughter caught one while weakfishing just west of Blacks Island ove spotty bottom in 14’ A surprise 20â€
for petes sake
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Welcome to our little community greg229. Methinks you'll like it here.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Welcome aboard. :smt006
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

I have caught many of those tasty little fish. My favorite thing to do is get on top of a sand dune with a good pair of polarized glasses and look both ways down the beach at the 1st set of sand bars. When you see the ends of a sand bar ( darker water), it'll be where most of the H2O flows out away from the beach. I fish a nylour with the body of a shrimp on the bottom right in that deeper water, just where the sand bar ends. I like either the white and red or chartruse skerts. Make sure you get nylures that have the crome jig head not the white ones. These seem to work better for me. You might also want to used a good heavy monofiliment leader (maybe 40-60 lbs). You will catch spanish on this set up too so I'm sure you will want to get those in without being cut off. These pomps seem to congragate where the water flows over the shollow bar to the deeper H2O. You will have long periods of no action then all of a suddden a school will show up and its hog heaven till they are gone. If you like casting just use the same rig and slowly bump it off the bottom all the way in. I have caught pomps 2 feet from the shore where the waves brake. Have fun and let us know how you do.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Welcome to ya, Gregg. Come in an' make ya self at home.
As you know, if ya been reading long, BBFN is a great place with a lot of good and interesting folks.
Mucho fishing and good story tellin' goin on here.
Ye gonna love it.

I don't know nuthin' 'bout Pompano fishing. I did catch a few, all a pound or 3, while canoe fishing about a mile off SGI in the state park 7 or 8 years ago. 'Was toward the end of June.
I released them all.
'Was fishing with dead shrimp and cutbait. 'Didn't even know what they were 'til I looked at the pictures later.