An Excellent Kayak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

An Excellent Kayak

Post by Littoral »

The Malibu Extreme
I don't have one yet. I haven't even paddled one but from all the reports I've read this looks like a perfect fishing machine. It's a sit-on top & what it will do is allow standing & fishing. That equals poling & good visibility for pure stealth. Just google around if you're interested.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Last edited by Aucilla on March 1st, 2005, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

This one?

rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

Indeed, it has all the qualities described above. I paddled one on the 'Goon two weeks ago. It is not the fastest boat, however; that is the tradeoff for being able to stand.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Malibu Yaks

Post by Apalach »

Hey Litt,
You might want to check out the Malibu Forum over on KFS. Lots of good info there, as well as comparisons of the Extreme with other Malibu yaks. Also species-specific info on most other top yak brands.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/7966050875
sea-grits

Post by sea-grits »

For those interested in a drier ride, give Wilderness System's, Pamlico, a look! They have big open cockpits with a choice of 3 hull materials. I've got the fiberglass, Pamlico Lite, that's very fishable and dry, up to a point if you don't go out in heavy wind/surf.
Werner graphite paddles are a definite plus, too!
In a land called, Perfect, sea grits grows on the beach dunes in patches next to those of sea oats!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

:thumbup: Agreed, I like the drier ride, that's why I chose a Pungo. For anybody not familiar it's like a smaller Pamlico, which is a great yak. I prioritized fishing winter so that's why I went with the sit-in. It would be an major understatement for me to say that the decision paid off. Last winter I caught (& released) a 27" trout from my kayak, and a whole lot of other plus 20's. That's real trout around here. In the winter I would never be able to get out & go where I want to go, when I want to go, without my sit in.
My thoughts on the Extreme are for a second kayak to fish the other 10 months when getting wet is a good thing. I'd also like to get on & off a lot more than I do in a Pungo.
But $800 is steep.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Any of the longer sit-on-tops that I have seen don't come cheap in the pocket book. The few dealers that don't price fix are huge mail order places. That is one of my main problems with the kayaking industry right now. All of the manufacturers require their dealers to sell at a certain price, and that price is MSRP. I just noticed on the Perception site that they raised the MSRP on my Bimini this year. I walked out the door with mine a little less than a year ago for a little over $800 and that includes tax and a new dry bag. Now the MSRP is $830. I wonder how much MSRP is now on one with a rudder. I have been planning on adding a rudder to mine, but haven't gotten around to it. For my inshore fishing the Bimini has worked out to be about as close to perfect as I think a kayak can get. My only problem with the Bimini is weight. Add a few accessories to it and that thing gets fairly heavy and bulky.

Nathan
rev
Site Sponsor

Post by rev »

By no means are SOT's only for summer months. I wear breathable waders and can fish any day of the year, regardless of the temperature.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Rev, I'm sure that's true & my experience with sit-on's in the winter is zero. What I guessed, before choosing the sit-in, was that using waders or a wet suit of some kind would not be as comfortable, and more complicated in general. I'm sure waders are ok but I've never liked wearing wear them and vs. being dry in a sit-in just seemed like a better choice at the time.
I know my opinion on this is by far the minority in the sit-in vs sit-on debate that has been waged many times.
My resolution, I hope, is to have both!