Fishin Mashes Shands

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Fishin Mashes Shands

Post by wevans »

Got out there around 12 noon today, the wind was not to bad at that time. I wanted to try a different area today, so I went to the point out from the beach. Let me tell you fellers, THERE BE FISH OUT THERE:D By the time I got my drift down pat, the wind was starting to pick up. But being hard headed , I started trowing the Chug-bug and She-dog in 1 to 2's. The Trout wanted them , but kept missing :( I did wind up with 2 19 inchers and 1 17" for the 31/2 hours the wind let me stay! I did loose another Chug-Bug to the Mackeral God:D "this makes three in just over a week". I want to use a leader to catch these beast, but worry that a leader will scare the Trout. Any thoughts on my ordeal :o
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

wevans, it seems sometimes you have to take the "rough" to get to the "smooth". :)

I have seen recommendations to try flurocarbon leaders for trout when there are mackeral about.

Apparently, the abrasive resistance of the flurocarbon gives you more chance of landing the macks.

Hopefully, someone with firsthand experience will comment.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Thanks for the advice Cranfield, but these guys seem a bit more RESERVED in there willingness to share knowledge than on the FS board :( But to put the shoe on the other foot, I would hesitate to give a possible competitor a legs up also :D Not to worry boys, I don't like Tourneys. It takes what was fun and makes it WORK :cry: Sorry for that four leter word folks :oops:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Wevans, I fished Mashes Sands this morning with my five year old son. First time I've fish there. I've fish the river and put in at the landing many times but had never tried this area for trout.
My first cast produced a nice 18" trout which I released next to the boat. I should've netted him cause that was the last trout we saw. Spanish were everywhere and I got my first good look at Tarpon up close. No, I didn't catch one but they surfaced all around us.
The highlight of the day though was watching my son fight a 3 1/2' shark on a Zebco 33, Made for a good day.

Joel
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Hey as for leaders....
I have been using 100# mono all spring and summer on both spoons and live pinfish. I haven't noticed the trout givin a thought to whether I got 10# or 100, and this means the spanish get in the boat more often too. Were you guys over off the mashes sand side only, or did you venture over to bald point as well????
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I stayed mainly on Mashs side, but did try a little around the oyster bars close to Bald Point. I did get one keeper from there, but the bite was real slow. They seem to do better over there on a rising tide :)
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

Where can you find the "she-dog" lure. I have been looking for them.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I can not for the life of me remember for shure :) But I think that the only one I have ever found was at Oshman's in Tallahassee. If you look and find them there, let me know "the Trout and Spanish loved her" :D
MAJMPS4

Post by MAJMPS4 »

Pops, If you cant find the She Dog in Tally, There is a place in Madison, Florida. Called Madison SPorting Goods. He has them in all shapes, sizes and colors. Also, you can order them from BASS Pro and get them fairly reasonable. It takes about 10 days. :D
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

Thanks, I know both places.
:lol:
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

I found them at JR's at the Aucilla River.
Thanks