kayak fishing

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

kayak fishing

Post by Redbelly »

I have done a ton of fishing in freshwater out of an 11" canoe. It is wide and more stable than your average canoe. But paddling it can take quite an effort....whew! :o
I usually do a float down with it, or fish a small pond. But still my back aches bad.

Is the kayak a more comfortable rig? Is it easier to paddle? I have never been in one at all.

But reading about you guys that use them, I say I'm very interested in the sport!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
KayakAngler

Re:

Post by KayakAngler »

Hey RB...

My YELLOW Tarpon 120 sit-on-top is a dream to paddle up river, down river, across the river and almost anywhere I want to go.

It's so much more comfortable than the sit-in kayak I had. It's easy to get on and off, stretch your legs anyway you want... even over the side (try that in a sit-in kayak).

I have a rudder on my kayak. I can drift fish down a river and hardly ever touch my paddle, unless I want too.

I had a fine Old Town canoe for fishing, but it was like a tank to paddle up river. I knew there had to be a better way to fish.

You are welcome to join me one Saturday and try my Tarpon 120 out.

Here's the factory link to the Tarpon 120...

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks ... pon120.php

Here's one of the best links on kayak fishing stuff...

http://kfs.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=418607442

Good fishing
Last edited by KayakAngler on March 13th, 2005, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Thanks KA, I think i could enjoy one of those, and it would be a great river fishing rig too! I love to catch those "redbellys" on light tackle.

Is there anywhere close where they sell those? Know of any used one s for sale?
I would like to meet up and try yours out one day too.

Thanks again, now I'm even more interested! :P
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
KayakAngler

Re: Kayaking

Post by KayakAngler »

Used Tarpon 120's are very hard to find in my area. Guys buy them and are so pleased they just don't re-sell.

If you can't find one in your area my good friend across the street is a Wilderness dealer in Bama and he has plenty.

Hopefully, these winds will calm down and we can do some fishing soon.

Edit: Hey RB... I know a couple of places that you can catch (and release) all the HUGE bluegills and shellcrackers you want. I've caught the limit there many times in only a few hours. I only catch and release them, but would keep a few if I had a fish fry. The bass fishing is good too. All it takes is a canoe - kayak, UL tackle, and no 30 mph winds.

Thanks
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

KA, where you at in Bama?

I have aleady been surfing the net for yaks, and they are plentiful used it seems.

I think the yaks would be perfect fro stream fishing that I love to do.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
KayakAngler

Post by KayakAngler »

North of Dothan, but I fish SW of Tallahassee.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Re: kayak fishing

Post by Apalach »

Hey Red,
Sitting upright in a canoe kills my back also, and like you say they can be a b**** to paddle, especially in a wind since the hull acts like a sail. However, I can sit for 3-4 hours in my SOT yak that came with a stock seat with good back support, and not notice a problem. Also the low freeboard makes most yaks somewhat easier to paddle in a breeze than the average canoe. But hey, if its windy, and you have a sail for your yak, then some additional options open up :-D .

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Hey Apalach, do you have a paddle model?

I'm really looking at this kayak fishing relly hard!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

The one in the pic above is the Hobie Outback fishing yak, and you can paddle, pedal, or sail these babies. Hobie has what they call a Mirage drive that is basically a pair of flippers that you operate with your feet. Makes for hands-free casting, trolling and fighting. These come with a rudder, good seat and built-in pack, paddle, and the pedal drive so they are more expensive than your average yak. They also have four built-in rod-holders and plenty of room behind the seat for a gear crate and/or ice chest. I made the outriggers myself, so that's not part of the deal. However, you can get a kit to do your own, if you want. The sail kit is an extra option, as well, but it is a snap to install and use, should you be interested in this.

The Outbacks have really gotten in demand over the past year or two, and everyone who has them seems to be pretty high on them based on the Web site comments I have seen. I got mine at Wilderness Way on the Woodville Highway in Tallahassee, but there might be a dealer in your area. Here is another pic of mine rigged to rumble. Those black things at the bottom of the pic is/are the pedal drive up on deck ready to be installed when I get into deeper water.
Best,
Dick

P. S. Here is a Web site that is a great source of info on a variety of different yaks and how to rig them. Check it out.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=418607442

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I read on one site that the pedals make it hard to paddle?

But you say they are uninstalled in the picture?
Does that mean you leave them out until you choose to use them?

How does it padlle without them installed?

I will be down close to Woodville hwy this week (southwoods), and will try to stop by that kayak store.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Now that's a new one--that the pedals make it hard to paddle! No truth to that at all, and I wonder where that came from. It paddles fine, with or without the Mirage drive. But once you have the drive installed (takes about 30 seconds) there is not much reason to paddle, although you can do both if you choose. I have to add that it is not a speed demon to paddle, but it sure is to pedal. One guy in a pedal Outback can tow two guys paddling for all they're worth in a tandem backwards!

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/images ... ugowar.jpg
stevo

Post by stevo »

So with this hobie outback, the mirage drive is installed right before you put it on the water? I've been looking into getting a yak and was wondering if this type would be hard to transport on the roof of the car since it has those flippers.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

No problem--you always take the flippers out when hauling out for the day and transporting, and put them back in when you get out in a couple of feet of water. They are completely separate from the yak. It takes about 30 seconds to remove them and about 30 seconds to re-install them. Couldn't be simpler. No tools needed, no fuss, no mess--just turn two cams about 90 degrees CW with your fingers to lock them in and 90 degrees CCW to remove them. In fact, if you don't want to use the flippers, Hobie gives you a plug to go in the well where the flippers sit. But you can paddle just fine with the well wide open,and no drive installed--I guarantee you won't sink! I have never even used my plug, so it is no big ting.
Dick
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

So this one with the pedals isn't as fast a paddler as others without the pedals?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc