Question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

striker

Question

Post by striker »

Hello everyone!! I am new to this, so I will introduce myself. I am a pretty young angler. (24 yrs old).
I moved to Tallahasse about 2 years ago, and had never fished saltwater before. (Im from the middle of Texas). I became friends with an avid saltwater angler and he took me flats fishing and I fell in love. I am a pretty inexperianced angler and read and listen to just about everything I can get my hands on when it comes to inshore fishing. Well, he moved to Washington state in December and I bought his boat from him. A 19ft Key West. Well, everthing was great and then about a month ago, I started experiancing a few engine problems. Got most of them worked out, but here is my question:
What do you do if you are out and your engine breaks down??

Like I said I am pretty new to boating and have been venturing a little farther from the boat ramp each time I take her out, but I am afaid that I will get to far out and the engine not work. Then what?
I know this is a pretty elementry question but I would like to know what to do if I ever get into this predicament.
Thank you in advance!

P.S. I have been here long enough to know that we need that magic 68 degrees. Anyone know about when that happens around St. Marks?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome Striker :D

I'm sure you'll get a good deal of advice but before that starts it would help to know what kind of equipment you carry with you. IE vhf, gps, flares, cell phone, etc.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
striker

Post by striker »

I carry all of the above..GPS, VHF, Flares, and a cell phone.
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Welcome Striker! :thumbup:

With all that equipment, you're in good shape. If the engine quits, anchor down, hail Sea Tow on Channel 16, give him your GPS cords, and he'll come fetch you in a jiffy!

I haven't had to use them yet.....but I've heard them on the radio many times out of St. Marks pulling folks in.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I'm sure there will be different views but ..... if it were me..... (and it has been :o ) ... The first thing I'd do is put out the anchor. Then, check my GPS position (assuming you still have electrical power) From here you could go in several different directions, depending on what the problem seems to be with your engine and your abilities to work on it while on the water, but lets just ignore that for the time being. My next step would be to get on the radio and try to establish contact with either another boat in the area or a base at Shields, Econfina, etc. and let them know my situation and position. This is why it's a good idea to get a radio check with someone each time you head out. In my case.... my radio was receiving but not transmitting and I HAD NOT PRACTICED WHAT I PREACH! :o My next step would be to locate my flares and have them ready in the event a boat shows up. If there was "no joy" on the radio I would turn to the cell phone and try to let someone know through the back door. If it hasn't occurred to you yet... it's a real good idea to file a float plan with someone as to where your headed, estimated time of return, etc. If by this time nothing has been successful, your probably feeling a wee bit of panic. Take some time to think about what you would do in this instance... do you have an extra jacket, rain gear, bug spray, flashlight with good batteries, manual bilge pump, water, snacks, put together in a small survival kit... if not I'd develop one. If your not too far off shore it probably won't be necessary but it's a real comfort to your mental health to feel overly prepared sometimes :-D I'll stop here and let some of the other folks give you the straight scoop :D
Last edited by Sir reel on March 23rd, 2005, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
striker

Post by striker »

Thanks for the response GC. I had no idea that they had a tow for the water!! I thought that was only on dry land. That makes me feel better.
And thank you Sir Reel for your help. My next question was, "What if I lost electrical power". But you answered that one for me. Thank you so much for your help. I value your answers and experiance.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

TOWBOAT US membership can be a lifesaver. I also try to keep my VHF in good working order and I keep my cell phone charged as well. Filing a float plan is also a good idea, either where you launch or with a spouse or friend.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Towboat US and Seatow are both available in this area. They'll come and tow you whether you're a member or not; but, it'll cost ya $$$ if you're not a member. I need to check on it myself; but, I think a yearly membership runs you about $100. Which, I'm pretty sure, covers the cost of any of your towing needs. It's kind of like AAA for your boat.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

- :smt006 __Welcome Aboard Striker

Tow Boat US is the way to go around St. Marks. Captain John is on call 24-7 and he lives in St. Marks. I had a long talk with him on the water one day and I'm convinced he would be your best friend if you got in a jam... $119.00 annually unlimmitted* towing.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I have been a member of Sea Tow for about 3 months and it is a huge relief knowing that someone has your back. My friend hit a sea turtle with his boat and it ruined the foot. Probably the sea turtle too. It cost him $850 to get towed in. :o
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Don't forget it always pays to be a good samaritan. I have towed numerous people over the years and had to be towed myself twice. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Don't forget it always pays to be a good samaritan. I have towed numerous people over the years and had to be towed myself twice. :-D
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Don't forget it always pays to be a good samaritan. I have towed numerous people over the years and had to be towed myself twice. :-D

AMEN TO THAT! Boaters looking after each other SHOULD BE
A GIVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sadly, it's not always the case.

Sir Reel gave some excellent advice! Many thanks for sharing!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Gilligan
Site Sponsor

St. Marks Boating, right there with you!

Post by Gilligan »

Welcome!

Still fairly inexperienced myself, hope my selection of usernames
doesn't come back to haunt me!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

If you have insurance on your boat, odds are that it comes with a tow policy attached. I'm insured through Progressive, and I have it. I've yet to use it, and don't know if it covers 100%, but I know it's there.
Get your anchor in the water first, tied off to the bow of course. If you have no power, try hailing a passing vessel. If visibilty is a problem, try waving a orange life vest or something of the like. Save your flares for when you really need them, such as nightfall, or if the above stated fails.
Welcome aboard.