Aucilla flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jepjones

Aucilla flats

Post by jepjones »

Had to take a break and tell you all about my weekend.

I had a buddy's boat for Sat and Sun. Sat headed down to Alligator harbor in hopes of finding some trout over the grass. I had no problem netting some nice size pins and one Mullet at about two pounds. Feeling good cause at least I got a mullet. Well that was the best I could do, the rest of the day(falling tide) I got nothing but sailcats and sharks killing my baits, but the weather over head was beautiful. SI guess I'll attribute the bad catch to water clarity. It was very bad, even in less than a foot.
Sun I wanted to get up early and head down to aucilla. When I woke up at 7:30 the weather in tally looked bad, and the radar over perry looked worse sooooo went back to bed woke up figured should clean the house.
About one'o' clock I notice the weather break, and I'm gone. I got to the ramp and wasn't charge the fee, but JR's wasn't open for some reason when I passed by so I had no bait. Gold spoon to the rescue. I really like the key largo prizm image spoons, the ones with the feather trailer. They'll catch pin fish too.
Back to the fishin... The water out of the river looked alot better than Alligator harbor and the first point to the right I stopped and dropped ancor just out of casting range to the grass.(so about 3 to 5' of water) After about twenty minutes of casting off the small oyster bar, I started hooking up reds. Nice ones going about 23". Good fights. 4 total, one kept, and it would have been more but the thunder off in the distance scared me off. Less than an hour and a half of fishing on a good falling tide.

I also noticed that almost everytime I hooked a pinfish a trout would come after it all the way up to the boat. One had it's teeth sunk in and I almost got him in the boat before he was able to let go!!! fun :P
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I went out of Bottoms on Sat. and found the same conditions :( I fished from Oyster Bay to Mashs Sands with no keepers and only a few shorts. The water was very muddy. Sunday my uncle Bob wanted to fish around the Aucilla, so after about 6 to 8 inches of rain overnight here and the roads looking like rivers AND no power for 5 hours, I decided that was a pretty good idea :D We got out there around 3:30 or 4:00 and found the water clear but the bite slow. We did have a lote of strikes and swirls, but they just where not in an agressive mood. Uncle Bob did pick up one that was just over 15"s but the best I could do was 2 cat's on the rod and 1 rock pile 1 oyster bar with the boat :o No damage, due to my lack of nowledge of the area causing me to go VERY slow most everywere. Bob will be over there all week at his hunt camp, and hopfully will give me some good updates on where and when the fish are biting :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
jepjones

Post by jepjones »

Yeah I definitely got lucky. I don't fish there alot cause I don't have a boat ( I got a canoe so more in the winter). That's the first time I've ever been there and found fish at the first spot. I was about to pull up and move and.... wham they moved in on me. There's certainly no lack of good spots out there, just being at the right one at the right period of the tide I guess. Good luck hope you find em
I'm in hot plate heaven....
At the Green Hotel--FZ