Kayak safety question

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ranch100

Kayak safety question

Post by ranch100 »

Sure would appreciate suggestions on where to put in around St. George State Park so that I can teach some youngsters how to paddle and right themselves on sit on top kayaks. :o Thanks
Steve Smith
Stricklands Landing Drive
Perry, FL
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

First road to the right after entering the park will take you to the scout camp. Good access and there's restrooms near by. If you had rather, there is a boad landing just a little piece on down the road, needless to say, also on the right. Great place to kayak with the kids, the water is pretty shallow..
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Q, I think both landings are to the left, after you enter the state park. :smt017
What was I supposed to do today?
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Right on TC. I have not been out there for a while, and unless Ivan did a lot more damage than I ever heard about, the Bay side (where the Scout Camp and boat landing are located) is to the left after entering the park, and the open water of the Gulf of Mexico is to the right.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Okay, the word is out- I get my left and my right mixed up. Being left handed, and thinking with the wrong side of my brain, might have something to do with it..
The side with the little waves..
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Q, we all have our little problems in life. :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Forgot to say in the post, that there are oysters in that little inlet, as with most places in the bay. So, it would be advisable to have the kids, at least, wear water shoes.And yeah the bay is on the "LEFT".

Yeah John, 'Wat'ser name is forever saying to me, 'Ya other right' , or 'Ya other left'.
The bad thing about it is, I said it twice, which is a good indication, that it was in my mind. Scary.
Like I've said before- Sometimes, I wonder about me'.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Q,
Guess we need to stick to "port" and "starboard"--that "right" and "left" stuff gets me confused too... :-D
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

Q, When you go out with me on my boat remind me not to ask you for directions :-D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Old tennis shoes, absolutely! I've lead at least 200 middle school groups on marine bio field trips for years (15) and they gotta have shoes -not water shoes or sandals either! Don't let yourself say, "I guess it's ok, you can wear them this time". Oysters are evil and will send you (and thus the entire group) to the hospital right now.
Wear old tennis shoes -the ones you can throw away afterwards if you really want to.
Sorry to scream through my message but I just really do mean what I'm saying.
I'm not one to use a paddle leash and I should, but with this group I would require it. I wear my PFD 99% of the time. With this group, they have to keep the PFD on at all times. Just do it.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I was wondering, have you ever tried to "right" yourself on a sit-on-top?
I bet it's hard to do.
It's great that you're doing it because it's an excellent safety excersize. I've put me & my kayak through all of it. You don't want to have to learn when your life depends on it. I have a sit-in and it's tough. But sit-ons (and most all bigger kayaks) are actually really hard to turn over. It's more like you have to fall off of them, and that's only if you try really hard. Getting back on is tough in deep water. In a canoe you have to do it from one end (by yourself). I assume that it's similar with a sit-on.
I'd actually be more concerned with the yak drifting away. What do you do when that happens? Or, how do you prevent it? I'm just thinking out loud here but that sounds like a kayak leash. I wouldn't want to complicate things but if I was in charge of a group trip (& tour) I'd think seriously about doing that. It sounds like you'll be in easy territory so it might not be an issue.
Let us know how the trip turns out!
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I've flipped a number of times, mostly purposefully, over the years with my SOT and it isn't too difficult to get back on. Just flip it back over and then straddle the middle of the yak with one hand on the side near you and the other reaching across to grab the other side. Slide up onto it like a seal and then spin your legs into place. Current can be a problem if the yak gets away from you, but I doubt it would be too big of an issue where you plan on teaching the kids.

Nathan