Aucilla 07-01-2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Aucilla 07-01-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

Got to the Aucilla about 3 yesterday and started fishing sulfur creek. Made may way out to the flats around pinhook rocks, and the marshes back behind it. NOT ONE BITE. NOT ONE SCALLOP.

Made my way back to sulfur creek and saw the man coming as I was anchoring. Guess he didn't notice my boat registration expired 6-30, but neither did I. That makes 3 checks in 3 trips. They are out in force this year, which is a good thing.

I started drifting live shrimp under a cajun thunder and caught 2 18 " reds on 2 casts and thought I was going to kill them, but that was all. I moved a little to a gulley between a point and an oyster bar. First shrimp was taken by a hardhead catfish. Next hit the cork started easing off and I set the hook and the fish took off like a bolt and got hung up in the rock grass. So I just started winching it in. Withing the clump of grass was a spotted tail. When I finally got the fish in I was amazed. 25", my second biggest ever. Saw several tarpon free jumping and chasing bait. I ended up catching one more trout and catfish before the tide stopped. I came in at 7.

Here is the trout...
Tom Keels
Site Founder