St. Marks 06-28-2002

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 06-28-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

Got on the water about 7:30 after having to backtrack and find a lost gas cap (long story). Tied on a sabiki and headed toward the birdrack. Got there and the big threadfins were everywere, a little big for trout fishing but they would be good baits. Water was absolutely slick and we had contemplated going offshore but some of the clouds looke iffy so we left the grouper stuff in the truck.

We headed over to the big bend reef and found some nice structure and anchored up current and put out the chum bag. We freelined the threadfins as the cloud of spadefish circled under the chum. Several good hits but misses later I hooked up something that took me into the structure. I managed to get it out but it pulled the hook. About 5 minutes later the same king of hit. This time I pulled him away from the structure and landed a pretty 21" gag grouper. My buddy Tony hooks up and the same thing happens, right into the structure. There are some grouper on these nearshore reefs.

We decided to go inshore to one of my rock piles and finish out the chum bag. After about an hour of hooking up sharks and such on the threads, we tried some pinfish. The first one was taken into the rocks by a nice grouper, the second was inhaled by a 30" cobia that Tony landed. The next was destryed by this 35 incher that nearly spooled my 4000 stradic. Thanks to the power pro line I was able to get some muscle on this fish and landed him about 10 minutes. This fish fed my whole family for Sunday dinner and was the only keeper we landed the whole day. Very slow, but hey that is summertime fishing!

Tom Keels
Site Founder