Ramp at St George?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pbr241
Site Sponsor

Ramp at St George?

Post by pbr241 »

I need to launch at St George area in a couple of weeks. The boat is a 24' Mako. Any tips on where I'll find a good ramp? I understand the tide can be a big factor. Any advice on that as well?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

PBR241, its been awhile, but there was a ramp on the right as you came onto the island, launched from there once many moons ago. I believe theres a public ramp just before the bridge going into Apalachicola..I think...Chalk :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Where do you need to go? Are you staying there? There is not one ramp on St. George, not even the one Chalk is talking about, that is good enough to put in anything but light skiff or jon boat. I would suggest putting in at Apalach or Carrabelle and running out from there.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

pbr241
Site Sponsor

Post by pbr241 »

We are staying on the bay side, there is a dock but I have not seen it. Belongs to my brother, he says it's adequate for my boat. He has a 17' and puts in on the island but he's not sure I will be able to do that. Looking for a place on the main land I guess.
Thanks for the help.
pbr241
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

I was there just a couple of weeks ago, launched my 16 foot at the park, bay side ramp, not sure if a 24 foot could make it. Call the ranger station they may be able to tell you for sure.
jonguthrie
Site Sponsor

Post by jonguthrie »

Tom is right, the one at the state park is only suitable for Jon Boats.
The RV park on the left as you enter the island has A paved ramp,but
im sure it would not be suitable for A 24' boat. I thought I might be able to launch 17' but have not yet tried. There are some good ramps in Apalatch. The public one under the bridge looks good, Bay City Lodge and Sportsmans Lodge, both up the river, have good ramps.
pbr241
Site Sponsor

Post by pbr241 »

Thanks for the information.
Later
Pat Fox, pbr241.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

We stayed on the island the week of the 4th and I launched on the East side of the bridge and at the second ramp in the state park. I have a 19' Sailfish so I draft less than yours. :roll: You might want to look it over at low tide to get an idea where the bars are. I did see some big trailers at the bridge ramp when I came back in one day so someone put a large boat in there.

Joel
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've launched out of the state park several times. You might be able to launch a 24' boat on a mid or high tide, however, getting from the ramps to the channel can be tricky. I am assuming you are headed offshore in a 24' boat. You can launch at the boat basin in Apalach and you have no longer a run than most any launch site on St. George. Probably less run than at the bridge on St George. The ramp at Apalach is excellent.
What was I supposed to do today?
Bill

SGI ramp

Post by Bill »

PBR

There are ramps on each side of the bridge as you arrive on the island.

With the construction of the bridge i am not sure the condition of the one behind Harry A's (right side). It was shallow for a 22 baysport, last year.

The left side is where the oyster guys come and go, again maybe too flat for the mako. Records 2-3 feet on my machine.

depending on where you are on the island you may consider a ramp on the west end at the BS cut. If you are in the plantation (inside the gate) and you know the code for the gate by Schooner Landing you could pick a slack tide and drop the Mako in at the cut. It will require 4X4 to pull out and you may feel better even going in if you have it.

If you house is not in the Plantation, I think the best ramp (free) is under the bridge in Apalach. It is about 7 miles out to SGI but may beat a soft grounding on the shallow ramps
krovbo

Boat Ramp

Post by krovbo »

There is no ramp on St George suitable for anything over 16' unless you don't mind backing your vehicle in over the exhaust. The county commision blocked the last half way usable ramp last month.

Anti-boat groups are blocking any ramp construction from ochlosknee to Appalachicola. Launch in Appalachicola and run out

Krovbo
pbr241
Site Sponsor

Post by pbr241 »

Thanks to all for the replies. We launched in the creek at Apalach. Cost $5 but well worth it. Had to go there every day for fuel anyhow. Docked in the bay. Boat sat in the mud at low tide. Had a good time. Now I've been there.. done that.
pbr241