Aucilla's Revenge

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Aucilla's Revenge

Post by Fisherman989 »

Friend went to Aucilla yesterday. Took a 200 horse Yamaha and put it in one of the most awful places in North Florida for this kind of rig.. Never been there before. Launched at/about low tide (1030am) The river is flooded with fresh water. Closer you get to the mouth of the river....the lower the water gets. Right at the island...north side....right side of river....hit a rock and busted the lower unit. Had a gapping hole in the cracked housing....you could see the gears. All the oil was lost. Much damage to a very new motor. Propeller whoppyjawed.
Why would someone go to this trecherous place with no guide....or why would someone put such a rig into the Aucilla River? Wonder never ceases. :cry:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sorry to hear of your loss. :smt009
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D I fish there but dont launch there. :-D
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

:o
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

:smt010
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

ouch!
FindingNemo

Post by FindingNemo »

http://jerrysbait.com/aucilla.htm This site shows an allegedly safe way in and out of the Aucilla....I have never taken my boat through there but I have kayaked the Aucilla and was amazed at the amount of rock scattered about. Your story is what I have feared. I think Florida Sportsman had an article on the Aucilla recently.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

STUPID :smt073
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

I put in there for the last time in Jan. I was glad to see I had a 250.00 deductable.I now take that nice ride from the light house if I am fishing over there. That was the second lower unit and numerous bent prop shfts,broken scags,cant tell you how many rebuilt props??? :smt010
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Biology refers to the collective set of events like this as natural selection. :o
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

I fish Aucilla a lot. Its not the place for large boats such as 20'+ bay boats and bass boats. They draw too much water. People with smaller lighter boats, Aluminum and john boats go and come with much less trouble. But theres still no gaurantee. Left part of a 30 hp mariner out there couple of years ago.
Tough luck for your friend, its heartbreaking to damage your boat.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I have gone out there a good bit in an aluminum john, always worried too.

Never hit. Then I had a go-devil for awhile, now that's the thang ta have at Aucilla!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc