T Top

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

T Top

Post by trout fisher »

What's the smallest boat you would consider putting a t-top on. I saw a 17ft. cc the other day and it looked pretty good. I've got a 19 ft. cc and was thinking about adding one. I don't know why. I've got a bimini. Those tops just look awesome! Whatta ya'll think?

tf
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I fish inshore a lot. All tops get in the way when casting. At least a bimini is removable. I prefer no top at all (I get tangled enough in what I already have on the boat) :D .
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

TF,
I've got a 19' Sailfish CC. We had a T-Top put on at the factory. It looks awesome and is great for storing more stuff. Rocket launcher on top holds 4 more rods. We've put bungied bait traps to the top after picking up bait on the way out.
It occassionally gets in the way on the flats, but we've comfortably fished 4 people casting out there before. An occassional rod slams the top when a fished is missed.
It was a blessing on our first offshore trip 2 weeks ago, as it was still as a pond out there. The shade was welcome. I would never have a bimini.

We'll be out with the NFGFC scalloping this weekend. Stop by and look at it.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!! Reel, that is nice! I'm a little apprehensive about taking a 19fter out deeeeeep. Guess you got bronze nads. :lol: I do wanna give it a try someday, though. I was afraid a t-top would look silly on my boat but that is one 8) ride. Thanks for the pic.

tf

BTW, where do you store your boat? Mine's under the carport.....but would never fit under there with a top installed. Guess I could buy a tarp. Can't afford the top and a new shelter.
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

It stays across the street from my house at my bro-in-law(co-boat owner) house. Believe it or not he found a tarp to cover the whole thing.
We have been out deep once. We fished 2 weeks ago SE of K-Tower. (We even caught a few grouper.) Flat calm day. 40 minute run from Mashes Sands. We have also been out to Marker 24 once. It can take seas pretty well. We just have to pick our trips carefully. You're welcome to follow us out one Saturday.
Last edited by Reel Country on January 2nd, 2003, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Reel Country............what is the free board of your boat looks like the sides of your boat are not very high........my uncle as sea pro 21CC it is a bay boat is more or less what you have.......my uncle has bin out over 40 miles in his boat handles rough water pretty good........biggest thing I don't like about it is you get very wet in 3 foot seas
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

ReelCountry,

Thanks for the invite. I would definitely like that. It would sure help my feelings if there was another boat nearby.

tf
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

BD,
Don't know off hand, but we get wet if the seas are 3' also. Try to avoid getting out when seas are bad or calling for bad seas. We were going out to Marker 24 the one day with a following sea. 4-5 when we turned around to see how bad it was. The boat took the waves good, but I don't like being in seas like that. In my dad's old 36 Tiara, no problem.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Is there anyone around Tally or the coast ya'll would recommend to build a customized top for my boat? Went to a machine shop here and they said "You mean like on a camaro or something?" :roll: Thanks in advance.

tf
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

Folks in Perry installed ours. Can't remember their name off the top of my head, but I can find out. Maybe Big Bend Marine :(
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

BD,
The freeboard is 20 inches on our boat.
RunningBare
Site Sponsor

T Top

Post by RunningBare »

My previous rig was a '93 Sailfish 190CC. I had a T Top put on by Gulf Coast Fab in Perry, right across from Big Bend Marine. Ask for Yancey, he did me right, and several others I refered there. Quality work, good people.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Thank you all! :)

tf
jka_gator

Post by jka_gator »

Be sure and post the before and after pics when you get it done.

-J
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

It may be a while. Cheapest estimate is $2100.00. The wife has some home improvement projects that I'll have to tend to first. Hopefully I'll have one by Spring. I may just "spring" for a bigger boat with a top.
Decisions,decisions.

tf