Certification ?

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

finniefish

Certification ?

Post by finniefish »

Am looking into getting certified an would like any advice I can get.

PADI or SSI advantages or disadvantages?

Tallahassee area shop for instruction? Does anyone have first hand experience?
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

It's a lot of fun!! :thumbup:
As far as SSI, PADI, NAUI, etc......they're all pretty much the same...my advice would be to check out the instructor, go talk to him, find out his/her experience level,.....etc. Divers like to talk.....listen to some stories.

I took SSI, supposed to be latest and greatest......I have friends that took PADI, etc....and we all put our fins on the same, clear mask the same way, etc... The instructor makes all the difference!!

Good luck! :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

YMCA All the way.

If you want to actually learn to dive and not spend money to get a card, then get YMCA certified. If you want to spend a whole bunch of money and not learn as much, take SSI. If you want to pay for every single thing along the way go PADI. PADI (in some circles) stands for PUT ANOTHER DOLLAR IN.

If you need some contacts for instructors let me know. I can hook you up.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

I'll have to 2nd what Tom says. Having been up-close and personal with PADI, SSI, and YMCA training, I can honestly say YMCA is the only way to go, with NAUI being a close 2nd.

Note well, the following statements are gross generalizations, and a good instructor makes all the difference:

1) PADI is a complete joke. The requirements for getting your certification basically boil down to being able to watch a 3 hour video, pass a fairly easy swim test, a short written test, a bit of pool time, and the checkout dives. I've divemastered on some PADI checkout dives, and they require almost no skill proficiency to pass. Basically, if you can stay underwater for 20 minutes and not die, you pass.

2) YMCA requires (inaccurate numbers, to the best of my recollection) 12-20 hours of classroom instruction, 12-20 hours of pool time, a fairly rigorous swim test, moderately short written test, and demonstration of proficiency in all skills during checkout dives.

3) SSI is about halfway between PADI and YMCA.

4) NAUI is 90% or better of the YMCA requirements.

Ok, that's enough gross generalizations.

Again, the certifying agencies only set the MINIMUMS, it is up to the instructor's discretion if they want to make you do more. My open-water instruction was YMCA, and my instructor added additional requirements. In retrospect, I'm glad he did. They came in handy.

So to 2nd what GC said, check out the instructor. A good PADI or SSI instructor *can* be better than a bad YMCA instructor, but you would be hard pressed to find a bad YMCA instructor.

As to instructors, Tom and I both work with some excellent ones who teach through both YMCA and SSI. They teach YMCA when they're doing private instruction, and SSI when teaching through Coral Reef. They'll put you through the paces regardless of which agency to decide to use for the certification.

Wil