Down Under Dive

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GC
Site Sponsor

Down Under Dive

Post by GC »

Center in Crawfordville (think that's the name).....Do they rent tanks? Anyone know their hours? Open Sunday for tank return?

Thanks!
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Re: Down Under Dive

Post by Wil »

GC wrote:Center in Crawfordville (think that's the name).....Do they rent tanks? Anyone know their hours? Open Sunday for tank return?

Thanks!
Monday through Saturday, 10am to 6pm. If you show up and they look closed, just ring the bell or try the spa place to the left of it or the RadioShack to the right. The same guy owns all three, and he usually has two or three people sharing the staffing between them. Since the dive shop is fairly low traffic, he usually doesn't have someone manning the desk.

I think they rent tanks, but not sure. A few notes on getting fills there:

1) They fill via a membrane system, so 40% max on nitrox. No banked O2, so fill your O2 bottle before you come (if you carry one).

2) He doesn't seem to keep that much banked, so I've had trouble getting fills on my HP tanks there. He also charges more for 120s than for 80s.

3) He fills HOT and FAST, so expect to lose some psi when the stuff cools. Luckily, he realizes he does them hot and fast, so he give a bit of an overfill usually, but it's a slight underfill when cooled. (My 120s are 3500 psi, he fills them to 3700 when he can, they usually cool to 3300-3400.)

4) The lady usually working the counter doesn't do nitrox, so you may have to wait a while for someone to show up that can fill nitrox for you.

Items 2, 3, and 4 might not apply if you get an air fill (#3 because it probably won't be Dan filling it), but I've only had nitrox fills there. $8 for an aluminum 80, $12 for a steel 120.

I'd give them a call to see if they rent tanks, their number is (850)926-4040. If they don't, I know the Moorings down in Carrabelle does.

And if you're in the market to buy tanks, his prices on aluminum 80s are kind of steep, but he can swing you a really good deal on steels (at least, he's offered me some good ones.)

Wil
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Down Under Dive

Post by Tom Keels »

GC wrote:Center in Crawfordville (think that's the name).....Do they rent tanks? Anyone know their hours? Open Sunday for tank return?

Thanks!
If you need a couple of tanks I have 2 al80s that are full. You are welcome to borrow them as long as they come back full. Let me know when you need them and you can come by and borrow them.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Appreciate the offer Tom.....but we'll probably be diving Saturday afternoon and Sunday.....And I don't know anywhere
to fill'em on Sunday before we head out of town.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Down under will fill them fast and hot if you are in a hurry. I pick them up the next day.

You may want call and talk to Jackie or Dan. They may let you drop them off on Sunday at one of the other stores. If that does not work I may be able to drop them off Monday.