Good Morning on the Fenholloway

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MAJMPS4

Good Morning on the Fenholloway

Post by MAJMPS4 »

Got on the water and started fishing around 6:45 around the oyster bar at the mouth of the river. With falling tides and the wind from the north east we began drifting out. While fishing on top water with a Top Dog, caught a 18" trout within 15 minutes. It appeared as though it was going to be great to begin with but, the strikes were usually short. However, a huge cobia blew up at the lure twice, each time missing and knocking it out of the water. We continued our drift and began catching some shorts in the 14-15 range. The quality began to pick up. My nephew caught his first Spanish and it was a dandy. It was 24" er and tipped the scales at almost 4 lbs. Finally got a piece cut bate in the water hoping to catch a shark or two. Got none only to have my steel leader cut as if it was a piece of 8lb mono. Re-wired and went at it again. This time only to catch several sail cats. While drifting we continued to fish top water. Intermittentingly, I would bump the bottom with a grub or use a Cajun thunderer. No luck at all with them. Not even a pin or rock fish. So, why change from top water when it is working. We continued catching several more shorts and 4 keepers up to 22". Wound up finishing the day with 5 good trout, 2 blues in the 2 1/2 lb range and the Spanish. Had fun better than working. Being a school teacher, it was my last weekday opportunity had to take advantage no matter how good the fishing would be. :lol: One question on a side note. I saw a huge fish jump about 40 yards from the boat and was essentially parallel to the water. It was 4-5 ft long and looked as though it was a huge shiner. A friend said it could have been a tarpon. Anyone got any suggestions? :idea:

Tight Lines and Good Fishing! :D
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

A guy from here in Moultrie told me he had seen tarpon working in that area. I never have. Interesting though. Sounds like ya'll had a productive day. My wife's a teacher and she was back to the grind this morning. Two little ones to get up and get going too. Gonna have to get used to a 9:00 bedtime again! :sleep: Hope you can get down there again soon.

tf
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Probably a tarpon. They were rolling out from Econfina on Saturday.

Seatrout99
Leerr

Post by Leerr »

Good trip!;)

Atleast ya got out and cought a few fish.

Probly a big Tarpon you saw;)
Tight Lines and Screamin Drags...