Cell phones on the gulf

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dwoody49
Site Sponsor

Cell phones on the gulf

Post by dwoody49 »

Can anyone tell me which cellular phone provider seems to have the best coverage out on the water in the Northwest Florida gulf?
Thanks.
Rodbender
Last edited by dwoody49 on August 16th, 2002, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I use Alltel,it doesn't even work well in town.
Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

I have US Cellular, and I get pretty decent coverage on the water.
Waterdog

Post by Waterdog »

I use Alltel, used to be pretty good then they "made" me which to a Digital phone, which s**ks...
But what I am looking at doing and a friend of mine has is getting a 3 watt bag phone and put an external antenna up on the hard top.
We have actually received calls out around S-tower, with this set up...
Sure it is an extra line, but I like the security feeling.... but I would not replace my VHF with it.. gotta have a radio.
============
Waterdog
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

radio is the way to go, $100 24/7 weather and no monthly fee...
garookie

Post by garookie »

I use AT&T, went out of PCB about 3 weeks ago, no reception one mile out of St Andrews Pass. Might just be that area, but I doubt it.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

None of the local providers can offer cell coverage on the gulf. There is a cellular provider in Louisiana that has exclusive rights to cellular coverage over the gulf. They managed a contract with the oil companies to provide cellular service to the oil rigs. If you talk to any local provider they will tell you they have no coverage over the water. I have Alltel and get coverage out 10 miles most of the time. I have had occasions out of Carrabelle when I was hit with a roaming charge because the signal bounced through a Panama City tower to get to Tallahassee. VHF is your safest means of communications out there. If you have to make a phone call you can go through a marine operator through your radio. The commercial guys do this quite often. Of course.......there is always sattellite telephone communication......
What was I supposed to do today?