Someone build a better mouse trap...

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Someone build a better mouse trap...

Post by Atticus »

Okay - I know some folks on here have the minds for this but I just don't have it so lets go - we can improve on Cajun Thunders (hope they're not a sponsor). :D

I was spooling up a spinner with some new Power Pro (don't ask me why - I never have time to fish anymore) and I thought the line wasn't on ther tight enough so I decided to just take the rod out back with a CT tied to the mainline (PP) and wing it, reel it back with the 'drag' of the CT in the grass the line would spool up tight [this works btw for tightening PP on the spool].

Anyway I got out back and let fly with just the CT tied to the mainline (no leader, no jighead) and it absloutly FLEW. One of the longest casts I have ever unleashed. I was actually stunned - a little tree which I was sure was out of range got cleared by this streaking neon CT.

I reeled back in and paced backwards as far as I could go - I tried to cut loose another monster cast but was too agressive on my upward trajectory. The CT got caught in a BIG tree and was hanging down in its neon glory about 30 feet above ground level. :o

Anyway - I have been trying to think on how to make a CT that somehow casts while right down next to the jighead and then allows adjustable leader length once it hits the water. This way an angler could cast it very far and eliminate the helicopter effect that seems to cut down on casting distance. I can't think of anything that would work well. Yet.

ps- I got that CT out of the tree very gingerly as the Mrs. wouldn't like a neon cork hanging 30 feet above the manicured yard. :smt014
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

I feel your pain. I would like a CT that has an adjustable leader. Too many times I am drifting and as the water get more shallow. I would like to be able to shorten the leader without having to retie the entire leader. Maybe I'll work on that this winter.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

I know how this can be done. But it will cost you. Let me see if I can get a few pics.
for petes sake
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

What if you stuck a small piece of wire down into the top-side of the cork and let it protrude out just a bit in an upwards angle from the top and slightly to the side off center of the cork. Then when you get ready to cast, place the eye of your jig-head or hook over the wire. This should keep all of the weight together and eliminate the pendulum effect. If you modify this until it stays together through a cast, it should easily separate when it hits the water.
I make or express no warranty in any way on the above idea, and shall not be held accountable in any way for any damages arising from the use of this idea, or any damages to any neighbors windows, homes or vehicles. Use at your on risk. If however this idea works well for you, I will expect a $.05 royalty fee for each cast, to be paid monthly on an honorary basis.
Thank you, Fish Masterson
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

If instead of a wire you had a hollow metal tube through the cork then you could run the leader through the tube and use a stop knot above the cork on the leader to set the depth. When you cast the cork would fall down against the jig,

The only problem would be that the jig would pull all the way up against the cork when you jerked or retrieved you line.

Also the biggest problem I have with them is the wire getting bent. If you bent that tube you would be #@!%.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

These aren't exactly cajun thunders, but I'm sure they'd cast farther. If anyone is interested I could get my hands on some.

http://www.flexcoat.com/launcher.html

Nathan
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Use a plastic tube like the one that comes with a can of WD-40. That would just about eliminate any worry of the tube getting bent.

That pendulum effect can be mitigated by casting technique. Instead of casting normally, slow down and just kind of sling it, sidearm. The length of the arc gets the jig moving faster than the CT. As it flies through the air, the jig should be pulling the CT. This may not give much more distance, because you're not putting as much effort into the cast, but with a little practice it should eliminate the pendulum effect.

There is another technique where you swing the rig around in a circle over your head 3-4 times to build velocity, then do the sidearm sling.

Either way the idea is to keep the rod and rig fairly straight, from the rod butt to the jig, as you're coming around for that final casting stroke.

Said another way, you don't want the rod to load like it would for casting a single weighted thing on the end of the line. This puts the jig behind the CT. On release the jig wants to fly past the CT, pulling the CT past the jig, pulling the jig past the CT, etc. This is bad ju-ju with a casting rod and will lead to a guaranteed backlash, which is how I learned to used these techniques to cast a jig and popping cork quite a numbers of years before there was any such thing as a CT. :D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Charles Pulley wrote: There is another technique where you swing the rig around in a circle over your head 3-4 times to build velocity, then do the sidearm sling.
This is the technique Chalk uses. I don't reccommend it. He's broken almost everything in my boat over 2' above the floor. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Ya'll are simply depending too much on the CT. Just remove it, add a fluorocarbon leader and your jig. Problem solved, no more helicopter action . Vary your retrieve to maximize or minimize your water depth and jig action.
Works for me...
:-D :-D :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

As Charles so eloquently put it, technique is everything :o I can't tell ya, but I can show ya :-D I very seldom have any problem with the CT now, but it did take a bit of time trying different technique's to get it down pat :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Releasing from 1000 to 0200 is a big key to not doing the helo tangle.....Watching Tincan do the overhead lasso cast with a CT is interesting too
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

He do have a certain FINESSE to that wind up, don't he :-D :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

In some places he's known as Turbo Cast. :o ....not Tin Can! :smt005

I've actually observed when he's in the front..... that the bow of the boat will lift just a bit when he gets the max RPM's before the release. :smt120
Last edited by Sir reel on December 1st, 2005, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
southren4evr

Post by southren4evr »

look at this thing its awsomw lol..

http://www.flexcoat.com/launcher.html
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Nathan....I went to the website you referenced and was favorably impressed with the corks. I have 4 on order as a test basis.. They are located just south of Austin, Tx 8)