Aucilla River Report - 12/29/2001

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Another beutiful day on the water. Got to the ramp about 6:40, was the tenth boat in the water. Met KRG at the ramp and told him to follow me. He went down on past me and I don't know how he did. I just know how well we did.

First fish of the day came on a mirrorlure and turned out to be my father in law's biggest ever -- 22" over four pounds. I caught one on a mirrolure and we decided to anchor because the current was ripping out and was a little much for the trolling motor.

After anchoring I rigged up for drifting live shrimp under a cork and was quickly interupted by another fish on Sonny's line. After I finally was rigged with a live shrimp, it took all of 30 seconds for me to put my biggest fish of the day in the boat, a 20 1/2 incher.

In the next 45 minutes Sonny and I went back and forth catching fish, he with mirolures and me with shrimp, releasing several fish over 18" after we got our 10 fish limit.

All the major action for the last 4 days of fishing has happened at the bottom of the tide as it just starts to turn to incoming. After the tide starts in good, the bite stops. Which is fine with me because we are always headed to the landing by that time, as was the case again today.

You can't catch them if you don't go. But go early because the ramp can be a mighty busy place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Keels on 2001-12-29 6:05 pm ]</font>