Gas tank maintenance

Post your favorite tips and tricks here. Pictures are helpful and welcome.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Gas tank maintenance

Post by Fish Masterson »

Lots of you probably know this but some may find it helpful. The boat has been sitting awhile(longer than it ever has) and I decided to make sure it was seaworthy today, so I went out to start it up. I thought about all the condensation that had probably built up in the gas tank and decided to check for water before starting it up.
Rather than dump all the fuel which was stabilized, I took an old fuel line I had lying around, and cut the fittings off of both ends. Then I took a wire coat hanger and straightened it out. Then I took some smaller tying wire and lashed it to the pickup side of the tube. All I had to do then was pump the bulb and it vacuumed all of the water and trash right off of the bottom of the tank. It helps if you can tilt your tank so that all of the water and such goes into one corner. I came up with at least a quart of water, so I am glad that I did that before heading to the ramp. I learned this trick when I took my boat to Wavel Porter a year or so ago, and Just now got around to making one myself. I do have a water separator, but with that much water it would not have mattered, I would have still had a bad day.
Just thought I would pass it along and suggest that everyone check there tanks periodically, just to make sure.
Fish Masterson
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished