Carrabelle 02-17-2006 (with pics)

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Carrabelle 02-17-2006 (with pics)

Post by Tom Keels »

Took advantage of the light winds and low seas and headed out with Andre(salty dog), Joe (Joefisher) and my buddy Rick from work.

We left the river about 9:30 and headed towards O-tower to dive the Miss Jem. Seas were 1-3 foot rollers and the wind was non-existent. We arrived shortly after 10 and rick and I were the first ones down in the 58° water.

Vis was aweful at maybe a cloudy 6 feet. Lots of "gunk" in the water made hunting impossible. I did manage to sneak up on a couple of mangroves and strung them up. Then I just started watching the fish go into holes and waiting for them to come out. But I quickly tired of that and went in after them. Rick thought I was crazy with my arm stuck up under a piece of metal up to my elbow, that is until I pulled out a 5 pound mangrove by the gills.

I repeated this again and was rewarded with a nice 4 pounder this time. I was back on the boat before Rick but it wasn't long before he came up with his first ever speared fish, a nice 24" gag.

I told Joe and Andre about the conditions and how I had stirred things up more and they decided to dive the actual tower itself. After about 30 minutes Andre came back with 3 nice sheephead to 8 lbs and joe brought back the skunk.

It was getting late and we needed another dive spot. 3 of us had never dove the Yamaha reef before so we decided for that since it was close.

We got positioned over the barge and Rick and I headed down. First we found some concrete light poles and followed them over to the massive barge. Holy cow this thing is big. Impressive to say the least. and absolutely full of fish. But since I was freeshafting I decided to stick to the top of it and quickly shot 5 of the biggest sheephead I've ever seen. I could have still been shooting them as there were hundreds of them.

Back on the boat I had 5 and Rick had 3 sheeps. We decided to give a couple of them to some guys fishing there.

Joe and Andre had a hard time finding the barge. Joe finally did but came back with another skunk. Andre never did find it.

We headed back about 3 and were in the river by 3:30.

Final tally was 11 sheeps, 4 mangroves and 1 grouper.

Sorry for the dark pic, the flash wouldn't work.

Good times and good friends can't be beat.
Last edited by Tom Keels on February 18th, 2006, 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

salty_dog
Site Sponsor

Post by salty_dog »

Was a blast !! Little sore today wondering how I'm gonna top yesterday.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Great Goodness I can't wait to see the pictures !!
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Bakertize
Site Sponsor

Post by Bakertize »

sound like a good dive for 6' vis !! :thumbup: :thumbup:
how about the hog fish? i usually shoot a few at yamaha around those conc. poles
Robert Baker
TnT Hide-a-way inc.
http://www.tnthideaway.com
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good deal, Tom. Glad you got to go. :thumbup:
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Great job Tom an Andre ! I can't wait to go ! I'm heading to Utila next week so looks like sometime in mid-march. Glad you guys had fun !
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Bakertize wrote:sound like a good dive for 6' vis !! :thumbup: :thumbup:
how about the hog fish? i usually shoot a few at yamaha around those conc. poles
I haven't seen a hogfish since October. I have no idea where they are.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Glad you guys got wet. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?