I need some help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

I need some help

Post by tin can »

I'm going to the Mosquito Lagoon area the end of this month. I have no idea where to start fishing. I'm taking the Red Cross boat. I would appreciate any info anyone has to offer.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Hire a half day guide to go with you. You know it'll be worth it.
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

birddog wrote:Hire a half day guide to go with you. You know it'll be worth it.
I'm considering that. However, I did a search and came up with a couple of million guides. Anyone have any past experience with guides in that area?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

I got a buddy who has a buddy that guides down there. I'll check it out.
GULP! free since 1970.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

:thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Wish I could help. I bought my boat from a guy down there. Fished down there for two days on the boat before I bought it. I love that place. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Eerman wrote:Wish I could help. I bought my boat from a guy down there. Fished down there for two days on the boat before I bought it. I love that place. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Did you have a GPS?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I got some POCs...I will hit them up tomorrow...to busy painting right now :smt011
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: I need some help

Post by silverking »

tin can wrote:I'm going to the Mosquito Lagoon area the end of this month. I have no idea where to start fishing. I'm taking the Red Cross boat. I would appreciate any info anyone has to offer.
One of the best guides in the area is Capt. Mike Hakala in New Smyrna Beach, 386-428-8530; http://www.floridaysfishing.com. Very knowledgeable and laid-back. Caught a monster red with him and found some whooper trout. He also makes an excellent line of lures and his gold spoon is my go-to redfish lure around here.

Capt. Jim Ross, 321-636-3728; http://www.captainjimross.com is another good choice for the Daytona/Cocoa area.

ML is very fishy and both of these guides can give a quick lesson. If you have access to the August 2005 issue of Salt Water Sportsman, my article featuring Capt. Mike offers specific tips and spots to try. You might search the archives of http://www.saltwatersportsman.com to see if it pops up. Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by silverking on April 11th, 2006, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

we don't talk about Capt. Mike's spoons on this forum. :wink:
GULP! free since 1970.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I know, kinda like don't ask, don't tell.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

yes. they are absolutely worthless when it comes to catching redfish. If you have any I would recommend throwing them away or better yet send them to me and I will dispose of them properly. :-D
GULP! free since 1970.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

birddog wrote:yes. they are absolutely worthless when it comes to catching redfish. If you have any I would recommend throwing them away or better yet send them to me and I will dispose of them properly. :-D
Careful birddog...are you a certified lure/spoon disposal professional such as I...if not, you need to go ahead and send those nasty ole spoons and lures to me and I'll take good and proper care of them :-D
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Tin Can -

We have an office in Melbourne. Whenever I head down that way, I fish with one of our survey crew chiefs who is a fellow fishing fanatic.

I can have him call you if you like. He will either take you fishing or recommend a good guide. I would go with him if I had the choice between the two.

He put me on some good trout and snook this winter when I was down there just wading out from the shore. Let me know if you want to get in touch with him.

- Steve Stinson
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

I used to live in Titusville and Merritt Island. Fished it all from New Smyrna to Sebastian Inlet.

The lagoon is great but very shallow. At that time I had a hells bay 16' and there you need it. Basically you can go north to tiger shoals and get as shallow as your boat allows or go straight across from the canal and again get as shallow as you can or go south to the whale tail. Basically get on a shoreline and pole along and you will get plenty of shots at reds. If your boat won't go in 1' of water then your best bet is fish the edges of tiger shoals or the whale tail.

Personally I stayed out of the lagoon on the weekends. Too much pressure. The fishing in the Indian River is just as good and a lot less pressure. You can still put in at haulover just go west and head up toward mims. Or you can put in at the holiday inn in titusville and head straight across. Get on that shoreline and pole along. You will get plenty of shots. Fish the East side of the river above and below the NASA causeway.

Good Luck
I miss that place.