Cape Sand Blast

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Cape Sand Blast

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D No literally wen't to the state park for a day trip with my family sunday. And let my tell you it was blowing so hard the sand hurt when it hit your skin and there were 4 foot waves breaking on the beach. But it was a really nice day with the family. :thumbup: We were checking out places in the area to stay at a later date for a few days. Driftwood Inn seamed like a good place at Mexico beach. Anyone stayed in the area at somewhere you would recommend. Where would you inshore fish lauching from the marina there. :-D
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Hit-n-miss, My parents have a place in Barrier Dunes (the townhouses right before the state park). If you're interested send me an email and I'll have the forward you the info. I launch at State Park, Presnells and the hand launch by where to the little sherriff's office used to be at the base of the Cape.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

PM sent :-D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I'd launch at the city pier. Easy, free, and you get to anywhere you want to in the bay.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Littoral wrote:I'd launch at the city pier. Easy, free, and you get to anywhere you want to in the bay.
Where's that?? Which city we talking about? :smt102 FREE! I like free! :-D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

The city pier is in downtown St Joe at the light where hwy 71 starts/ends. There's a park on the bay side and that's where the ramp is. :thumbup:
All depends really on where you're staying in the area. Crossing the bay to the state park is 3-4 miles across the bay from the city pier. By the way, after dark the oil docks are very cool place to visit for fish and whatever lurks in the night (where? turn at McD's and go past Bluewater to the end).
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I was there in the state park Saturday and Sunday and the sand was flying. Thats about as rough as I've seen the Bay in a while.

As for best place to stay...for me, it is my condo down there when it isn't rented..which seems to be little of the time these days :-D
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

In Mexico Beach the Driftwood Inn is excellent - the winter rates are very reasonable - might be hard to park a boat - the proprietor used to live in Tallahassee. There are an incredible number of condos being built in that town - US 98 will be a hazard come summer.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Skag wrote:In Mexico Beach the Driftwood Inn is excellent - the winter rates are very reasonable - might be hard to park a boat - the proprietor used to live in Tallahassee. There are an incredible number of condos being built in that town - US 98 will be a hazard come summer.
:-D I wonder if they would let me park my skiff accross the road? I didn't think to ask while I was there sunday. Yall guy's need to help me out on where to fish in that area. :-D Please be somewhat specific. I know nothing about fishing that area. :smt080
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

I fished the surf at Cape "Sand Blast" this weekend... needless to say, the wind was howling. Camped at the Gulf Breezes portion of the state park, caught a few cats, and never saw anyone land anything else. Still beat working. :smt004