Question for top-water guru

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

mojokoko wrote:Wow thanks Birddog. That is some really good information. I learned a lot by reading it.
:thumbup: :thumbup: Happy to do it. Gowge taught me a lot.
GULP! free since 1970.
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Littoral wrote:And...Power Pro to impart action is a must.
my 2 cents
Some lures, mainly walk the dog types will need a short leader of mono to keep the line out of the front hooks. With popping style lures I don't use a leader but I do use a loop knot to improve action. You will have many more strikes than hook ups but that is part of the fun of topwater fishing.

Love me some Power Pro.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

AJ wrote:Some lures, mainly walk the dog types will need a short leader of mono to keep the line out of the front hooks. With popping style lures I don't use a leader but I do use a loop knot to improve action. You will have many more strikes than hook ups but that is part of the fun of topwater fishing. Love me some Power Pro.

Agreed on leader and I use a short stretch of heavy flouro to give a stronger loop and, more importantly, a stiffer connection to avoid hanging up on the hooks.
Gotta read that FS info. Thanks :thumbup:
Last edited by Littoral on September 5th, 2007, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Great info guys! I learned alot, now only if I can go out to experiment with what I have read.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Yes, REPLACE THE HOOKS & Split Rings!
Or, watch the 30+ Redfish swim away. Done that, once.
http://www.vmchooks.com/inc_manual.htm

BD, I read the FS thread & it really is great stuff. It sure is obvious when somebody really knows their stuff & reminds me (again) that being good at fishing takes a lifetime. :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Littoral wrote:Yes, REPLACE THE HOOKS & Split Rings!
Or, watch the 30+ Redfish swim away. Done that, once.
http://www.vmchooks.com/inc_manual.htm

BD, I read the FS thread & it really is great stuff. It sure is obvious when somebody really knows their stuff & reminds me (again) that being good at fishing takes a lifetime. :thumbup: :thumbup:
10-4 :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.