Kevin's in Tallahassee

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RW-007

Kevin's in Tallahassee

Post by RW-007 »

Has anyone heard anything about Kevin's going out of business (tallahassee store)? I heard a rumor, but I don't know if theres any truth to it. They have some nice stuff there, just a little pricey.
I gotta stop wishing, I gotta go fishin, I'm down to rock bottom again
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Re: Kevin's in Tallahassee

Post by Barhopr »

saw the other day that they had gotten in a few new high end fly reels, Tibor, Abel etc....$700-$1000. reels. I wouldn't think they would do that if the doors were about to close, but you never know.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

Saw a sign where they were hiring all depts.
Doesn't sound like they would be closing.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

For what they charge for the stuff they should close right away
fishbonez

Post by fishbonez »

I saw that "now hiring" sign too. Made me wonder what was up, that place has turn over like no other. Every time I walk in there I see some new face and I know kids are dying to work there, maybe he's looking to up the quality of the staff. On the other hand.....he could close the doors on the Tallahassee store and not bat an eye. His real money comes from supplying ammo to the plantations.
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

My buddy used to work there and when he went to Sportsmans Warehouse the other day he said that there were about 6 employees, that he knew of, that came from Kevins. That might be what the now hiring signs are for :smt102
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

whitebc wrote:My buddy used to work there and when he went to Sportsmans Warehouse the other day he said that there were about 6 employees, that he knew of, that came from Kevins. That might be what the now hiring signs are for :smt102
More than likely that is true. Larger box type stores prey on local merchants to fill their employment needs. They will offer more money and benefits than the local folk can offer. Business is Business.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Ammo is not keeping him afloat. There is no money in ammo. I still say you should shop local and keep your money out of these big box stores.Remember we are talking about people's lively hoods here.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Sportsman's Warehouse might have something to do with the most recent movement of employees from Kevin's, but this has always been an issue with Kevin(s). For those of us who drive by there frequently, "hiring" is almost always on that sign. He cannot keep people employed there. There seem to be 2 types of folks working there: those who are there forever and those who are there for less than 4 months. I have a feeling it is more about the way that place is run than the "big box" guys coming in. I am all in favor of supporting local businesses, but not in this case.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

This "little guy's" mark up is through the roof nearly 250%... They charge $7.99 for a Super Spook. Blind Eye Outfitters charges $4.67. Both small outfits. :smt102 I hope Sportsmans Wharehouse will at least cool Kevins prices down to where they should be. It is rediculous that he has been able to get away with this for as long as he has.

Check out Blind Eye off of NW Capital Circle, they have a very good selection of lures, and they don't base there quality of customer service on the type of vehicle you drive.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

That is a good price on that spook considering it cost $4.47 not counting shipping or fuel surcharge.I don't know how Kevin runs his business but I know you have to make money to stay in business.On a smaller note good help is hard to find but I have noticed they do advertise help wanted a lot. I also met the guy who runs Blind Eye, he come in the store and we had a good talk about business,he was a nice fella.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
macdaddy
Site Sponsor

Post by macdaddy »

I talked to Lynn the fishing dept manager last month about this closing rumor and he told me that it is exactly that, a rumor. Kevins maybe high on alot of things, but it is nice to walk in and they have what you need in stock and someone there that knows what bigbend fishing is all about. I shopped at blind eye and they also have a good selection of tackle and good prices, but not so much of offshore tackle.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I heard the same rumors when Jumbo Sports opened up right next door to them years ago. It is just what some people expect will happen to a little guy when the big box stores come around. Kevin's lasted through them, and will likely last through these guys. He seems to have a certain clientell that will continue to shop loyally at his place, no matter what the price. However, they do(or did) offer a price matching guarantee, and are reasonably priced on some items. They also offer a lot of higher end items, that would be very expensive, and therefore, making the whole store look expensive. I am not a frequent patron, but just wanted to give them a fair word.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

I used to dislike kevins a lot, but no longer have that opinion. I also use blind eye, but too often have problems with stuff not being in stock. That is rarely a problem at kevins and they carry a wide selection of tackle. There are time I will pay a dollar or two more to got o kevins just because I know I will not have to make a second stop if they dont have it.

What kevins does do to survive is they dont carry low end equipment. He lets walmart and the big box stores do that, but if you want nice stuff, he has it at fair prices. You might be able to find it cheaper, but you have to search around, and the selection usually isnt as good.
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

You mean there is somewhere to buy fishing and hunting equipment other than Cairo ????????? :smt102 I would not reccomend it !!! 8)