Sportsman Warehouse

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Billy Miller

Sportsman Warehouse

Post by Billy Miller »

Any thoughts on the new Sportsman Warehouse? Opened Wednesday at 3PM. Grand Opening this Sat.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Sportsman Warehouse

Post by Redbelly »

Just went this afternoon. Too many lures and stuff. (not really) Looked like decent prices. My buddy who likes to spec fish a lot says they lack in crappie stuff. We just breezed through, looked at the new S&W 357 combat revolver...cool.

they have just about everything I can think of and more, but I have never been to a bass pro shop.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

can't buy from them online :thumbdown:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHERE IS THE SPORTSMAN WAREHOUSE LOCATED IN TALLAHASSEE?
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Fallschase off Mahan and Buck Lake Road, between Costco and the evil empire.

See the thread under the For Sale section and the thread on Sports Authority sale.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I was less than impressed. Don't get me wrong, they do have a fair selection of some things, but I guess I was expecting more. I think I was spoiled by a recent visit to a Gander Mountain in Ocala. Friends, if you have never been, you will be in for a wake up. I had left the Bass Pro in Orlando, and was coming home when I saw the signs. I pulled in and did not want to leave, EVER. In my opinion, they have it going on, way better that Bass Pro, other than the big fish tanks. I can tell you internet shoppers that you are out of luck, as they only currently offer a select amount of merchandise through the Overton's website for sale, But this selection does the store no justice, you will just have to go and see for yourselves.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Well I went to check it out and got a few things I couldn't live without like the new X-Walk from Rapala. 2 inches longer than a normal skitterwalk. Also grabbed a couple of super spooks. Less than stellar reel selection, lots of soft plastics and hard baits but almost all are freshwater. When they retool for saltwater it should be an impressive store.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Tom Keels wrote: When they retool for saltwater it should be an impressive store.
Thanks, I'll wait for the salt stuff.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Olebiker

Post by Olebiker »

I bought a Pflueger President spinning reel and one of those Okuma rod racks that they had stashed all over the store. They will have to adjust the product mix in fishing to suit this area. I'm a bass fisherman, so I was pretty well satisfied.

I spoke with Bill Colvard, the store manager, who seems like a pretty decent fella. He worked for years for K-Mart and used to live n Tallahassee. He expressed an interest in becoming familiar with the local clubs. He has already offered a room for the local fly fishing club to meet.

I noticed Kevin's has a sign up advertising that they have been locally owned since 1979.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

I'm not too sure about the no salt water comments. They werent the absolute best, but no one in town can touch them, and the fresh water selection is very good, especially the soft plastics. Flats tackle was pretty well covered. Not much in the way of marine supplies, but the tackle was impressive, better than BPS in destin IMO.

Rods had a decent selection and very competitive prices, but they were marked down for the opening. With out the markdown they were fair. Reels were fair and the selection was OK but not great, but I usually find reels significantly cheaper online than any store. Rods I tend to buy locally due to shipping.

I've been to Gander Mountain in St Augustine, and they were impressive on a store wide basis, but their tackle wasnt much different.

Sportsmans warehouse doesnt have everything, but they are definately worth a look and I will be back.
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Looks like i need to get over there
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I took a ride up there Friday afternoon. They're like a mini-Bass Pro Shops. I wouldn't say they have eeeeverything, but they do have a buuuuuunch of stuff. And I was talking to one of the guys out on the floor and he said all their inventory isn't in yet.

They certainly chose a good location, not far from my dermatologist's office. :-D
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

i like the place.. i was a little disapointed by their lack of boating accessories and supplies.. its no bass pro shop