Spinning Reel for the Flats -- Any Recommendations?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hula Popper

Stradic -- Why? Which?

Post by Hula Popper »

I see several people are high on the Stradic reels -- How come?

And which one? I went to the new sportsman bigbox over the weekend and looked at the Stradic reels. I couldn't tell one from the other.

FYI, I have a Pfleuger reel, which was like silk when I bought it two years ago, but it is already starting to act a little balky. Must not make 'em like the used to.

U.S. Reels -- I've never seen one live, just in a catalog. What makes it special? I see it has jumbo size reels, but I wasn't sure what was the idea behind it.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Stradic -- Why? Which?

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Hula Popper wrote:U.S. Reels -- I've never seen one live, just in a catalog. What makes it special? I see it has jumbo size reels, but I wasn't sure what was the idea behind it.
The ones we have are the 230XL and 240. They are extremely lightweight and hold a bunch of line for their size.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Hula Popper wrote:I see several people are high on the Stradic reels -- How come?
Cause it works great. That said, I agree with the handle issue (?).
Symetre.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Re: Spinning Reel for the Flats -- Any Recommendations?

Post by Ron Wilson »

I made a point to buy a couple different reels to try them out: Stradic (4000 and 2500), two Symetre 2500s, Pflueger (President), US Reel 230SX, Okuma Alumina, and Penn Captiva. While I admit I don't wear out the fish, the reels have all performed pretty good for me (range in cost from about $50 to $150). If I get into some heavy reads like Mook and Mojo did recently, them I'm sure I'll put them to the test.
"Plan for the worst."
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Hula Popper wrote:I see several people are high on the Stradic reels -- How come?
Not sure. I am one the hunt for a replacement for mine. I have three, and have had issues with all of them. I love my shimano baitcasters, but I am not as sold on their spinning reels. Everyone seems to like them so much that I chalk my experience up to bad luck.

One was used, but the bale works itself so that I have to tighten the screw back down a couple times a trip. I have a feeling a part is missing, but all things considered, its my best on. One made noise right out of the box. I was told it was from tight tolerances and would go away with use, but it hasnt. The other one has a bale that likes to snap shut in the middle of a cast. I have lost many a lure with that one and just dont fish with it much anymore. I also have a shimano spheros that is older than all of them, has seen more use and has been golden. Go figure?

I may try a us reel next.
yellow dog

Post by yellow dog »

stradic 4000 strong lots of line
the road goes on forever and the party never ends
ALUMA25

Post by ALUMA25 »

SHIMANO ALL THE WAY. SEDONA 2500 RETAILS FOR $49.99 ONE OF THE
BEST REELS ON THE MARKET FOR THE MONEY, HAVE SIX OF THEM , THEY
HAVE ONLY SEEN SALT WATER FOR THE PAST FOUR YEARS AND STILL
OPERATE AS SMOOTH AS THE DAY THEY WERE NEW. STRATIC IS ALSO
VERY GOOD A LITTLE HIGH FOR ME THOUGH. THEY NOW RETAIL FOR $149.99
THERE ARE SEVERAL MODELS BETWEEN THOSE PRICE POINTS THAT ARE ALSO VERY
GOOD REELS.