3-14-09 St. Andrew Bay

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FlatCrazy

3-14-09 St. Andrew Bay

Post by FlatCrazy »

After reading various reports of trout on the flats this week, I decided to drag my father fishing early this morning. At 5:00 this morning the radar showed rain around Destin heading this way. We decided it was going to be a quick trip.

Launched the boat at 6:00, wind was already starting to blow pretty strong out of the SSE. Quick run out to the flats. Water temp was 68. Turned out to be really bumpy. Had a hard time keeping the bow into the wind. Topwater baits looked like little surfers and when the waves started breaking over the bow we decided to head to a more protected area. Headed for a really swampy area that usually is not much fun to fish due to the gnats, but with the high winds we thought we would give it a try.

Picked up a couple of the Slayer in-line spinners this winter and had never used them. Told my father to tie one on. He laughed and said they were bass lures but I convinced him to try one.

Third cast, wham, redfish in the boat. Guess they work. Several casts later, wham, legal trout in the boat. Guess they like them also. Water temp in the swamp was slightly warmer at 69-70. I was attempting to use various topwater baits, but the fish seemed to like the spinners and cork/soft plastic combos.

Fished til we had enough fish to eat then headed back to the ramp at around 8:30. Wind seemed to increase the whole time we were out.

Never posted any pictures before, but I am going to try and post some of my father with a few of the fish we caught today.

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: 3-14-09 St. Andrew Bay

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Too bad about the wind.
Looks like you got some anyway.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I bet you didn't have to twist Dad's arm to go with you, he looks happy. That was a good catch, congrats.
Yours in the South
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Way to hit 'em and go. I've been wanting to try one of those Slayers too. :thumbup:
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

red looks mighty nice there! look forward to "better" reports later on with more pics of the fishes!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Hate you had to fight the wind. Glad ya got out there.
What was I supposed to do today?
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Glad you caught some :thumbup:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."