Econfina

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mattfsu7
Site Sponsor

Econfina

Post by mattfsu7 »

I went out of Econfina on Saturday. We came out of the mouth and went Northwest between the Econfina and the Aucilla. We fished with Cajun Thunders w/ green sparkle grubs (plus a few casts with a TopDog) and fished the entire time in 3 ft. or less. Over 5 hours we only boated about 10 trout, all about 14 inches. The water was very dark and the warmest water we hit was 64 degrees.

Needless to say, our day was less than expected. My question for anyone willing to share, is - Has anyone fished South of the Econfina in the last few weeks? Did you hit any clear water? Did you have better luck? And finally, did you fish that shallow?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon Mattfsu7,

Check out the "Inshore Fishing Reports" There are 2 or 3 from the Econfina and Aucilla over the past couple of weeks.

I was out from the Econfina on the 3rd and the water was gin clear from about 4-5 ft on out. Closer in it was stained but still not nearly as dark as it was last year. I fished both East and West with no success. I've heard reports of folks catch'n fish to the East and in closer. Just keep doing what your doing.... they'll show up for you in the near future.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mattfsu7
Site Sponsor

Post by mattfsu7 »

SirReel - Thanks for the encouragement. It is funny that you referenced last year's dark water. I didn't mention it, but that was my real intent of the post because last year I just couldn't seem to find my way to clear water off of Econfina. In previous year's, that clear water seemed to be the key to some great days fishing between the Aucilla and the Econfina and near the birdracks.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

we fished dirsty water sunday in 2 foot... about 40 yards from shore. Creek mouths. Spoons, top water, and suspended lures.... they blasted them all afternoon. I wouldnt have left but the wife had enough. Ended uop with trout limit, 23 inch big one. An adn a 8.5 lb 27 inch red.... I dont believe the water color theory any more....
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I do believe the water clairity in one respect. This year the Trout seem to have been caught more in stained water. One thing, the stained water warms faster and holds warmth longer this time of year. Another is just what's been mentioned. Fish seem to be in the creek and river mouths and close-in still. Naturally the close-in water will stay stained longer because of runoff. I think the Trout are still looking for the warmest water.

Just my 1 cents worth. :lol:
Semper Fi
mattfsu7
Site Sponsor

Post by mattfsu7 »

CS - good point about the dark water warming up faster, didn't think of that one. That would seem especially important this time of year. Oh well, back to that location, location, location theory.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

What ramp do you use??

Which one will NFGFC use on April 3rd?