SPENDING TIME ON THE WATER AT ST MARKS

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FUTCHCAIRO

SPENDING TIME ON THE WATER AT ST MARKS

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

TWO OF MY FRIENDS WENT WITH ME THIS MORNING TO ST. MARKS TO CATCH SOME TROUT AND REDS, NADA. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER BEEN FISHING IN SALT WATER ANYWHERE THAT I DID NOT CATCH SOME FISH. WE WERE IN THE WATER AT GOOD LIGHT AND THE LIGHTHOUSE RAMP. WENT OUT IN FRONT OF THE LIGHT HOUSE AND WORKED THE OYSTER BAR THAT HAS ALWAYS PRODUCED BEFORE. NO STRKES. THE WIND WAS OUT OF THE N.WEST AT ABOUT 15 KNOTS AND IT BLEW LIKE THAT UNTIL 11 A.M. ,. VERY COLD. AT 11 A.M. THE WIND CALMED DOWN AND THE SUN REALLY FELT GREAT, IT STAYED THAT WAY UNTILL WE CALLED IT A DAY AT 2 P.M. WE TRIED JERK BAITS, TOP WATER, SUSPENDED , CAJAN THUNDER, SPOONS, SPOOKS, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IN ALL 8 TACKLE BOXES, AND NOT NARY A FISH OF ANY KIND.
IT HAS BEEN 14 MONTHS SINCE I WENT FISHIN LAST, BEEN CONFINED TO THE HOUSE WITH THESE BLOOD CLOTS IN MY LEFT LEG GOING ON OVER 11 MONTHS, I WAS SURE HOPING WE WOUD CATCH A MESS OF FISH BUT IT WAS NOT TO BE. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GO DOWN TO MY OLD STOMPING GROUNDS AROUND ELJOBEAN AND ROUND A FEW UP.
HEY ROY AND WAYNE THANKS FOR TAKING ME, IT WAS GREAT JUST TO GET OUT ON THE GULF AGAIN, MAYBE WE CAN TRY PT. ST. JOE NEXT WEEK.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
hokiega

Re: SPENDING TIME ON THE WATER AT ST MARKS

Post by hokiega »

Yeah, "light and variable" according to the weatherman doesn't ever seem to play out that way. Glad you got out there. Fished Keaton Beach and north today and will report.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Same results Pa. Great friend Dr. Tom Sexton and I left Anky about 10 and ran to Rock Garden...took our time going in and fished from 3.5 to 2.0 for several hours without a bite.
We spotted several fish that appeared very lethargic. Water was clear which is quite different from the immediate Anky area. We tried everything in boat and only got a couple of nibbles.
Porpoises were feeding around us most of the morning. Great day to be on the water but no love from fishes!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Man sorry to hear that fellas. Tomorrow supposed to be another nice day. Try it again. Going to take the kiddies and try and find some slabs up here.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

I was out there all day, too. The weather nice. I feel spring coming. It would have a perfect day but I didn't catch anything. I moved all over the place and didn't get any hits. Where are the fish???? I'm going to see if there come ou of hiding today. Here fishy, fishy, fishy....
The Back Porch
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

we were out all day today... fishing from the lighthouse to well past grey mare. never a nibble. went up into the river around the bars.... not a bite.
it was beautiful out... but there werent even baitfish out there on the flat.
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Wow! I was packing the boat last night for the first trip in a while when I realized the steering was froze up. I worked on it, but couldn't break it loose. Was really disappointed that I couldn't get down, but my plan was to launch at the fort and start at the mouth of the river and work my way out until I found them. Tough luck guys, but it is always better on the water than at the boat shop.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

kikstand454 wrote:we were out all day today... fishing from the lighthouse to well past grey mare. never a nibble. went up into the river around the bars.... not a bite.
it was beautiful out... but there werent even baitfish out there on the flat.
Fished the same area today, saw lots of rays on the flats but few fish.
Up the creeks was another story.
Really clear water.
Waves of pinfish coming in. One throw, 50 in the well.
Saw many large trout but managed to boat only one, 21".
Gorgeous day on the water. Things are pickin' up.

JB
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
TheBeerGuy

Post by TheBeerGuy »

Same story same location yesterday.. :smt011 The day was great, sun was shining, dolphins feeding, and beer was cold. Couldn't ask for more but a bite would be great in the future.. lol
Need draft equipment, home brew supplies, craft/micro brews, or even a kegerator? Check us out http://www.beertoyou.com or 850-386-BEER(2337)
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Glad you got a chance to go out. I think things are going to get a lot better within the next couple of weeks so you need to get back out again soon.

I went out yesterday but spent all my time working a creek. Not much action but I did bring home a nice 26" redfish and a decent sized trout. Those two fish were the only two bites I got in over an hour working the creek pretty hard. The action was very similar to the last two times I went out.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Keep your heads high guys, we are about 2 weeks from the flats explosion. The water is still 58-63 degrees out there. The magical number is 68! Another week of 75-50 highs and lows will put it pretty dang close. Good luck....... :-D
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

2 weeks is when i'll be there sir!! salute1
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Same story for me as well guys. I saw some good looking water along with dolphin, pins, and rays, but no trout. I was able to get a red to eat very early around dolphin creek. He took about 5 or 6 feet of drag and was still able to spit the hook. The closest I have come to catching a fish this year. Weather permitting i will be out each weekend, waiting for the explosion.
One thing did bother me. I saw some buzzards on a point in a creek about half a mile east of the light house. Upon investigation I found they were feeding on a pile of Redfish that had been dumped there. I counted 15. They were all in the 25"-30" range. It made me sad that someone would kill all those fish and dump them there.
Hope to make a fish filled report next weekend,
FF
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I am sorry to hear about the blood clots, Pa. Glad you had a chance to get on the water.

On Saturday we caught 8 or 9 small black sea bass and a nice sheepshead at one of the artificial reefs. Actually, I caught one my buddy caught the rest.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

You guys shoulda read the fishing report in the Democrat. Keaton Beach has been the hot spot. Never question the wisdom of Mister Mullet. Ha! 8)