Tipping guides??

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BrogensDuck

Tipping guides??

Post by BrogensDuck »

I am not sure of the etiquette for tipping guides for a flats trip. The only guides I have ever used have been on wade trips out west or those walking behind pointing dogs of some kind. Any guidelines? Suggestions?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Tipping guides??

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Come to the NFGFC meeting Thursday night and ask Capt. Pat McGriff of One More Cast Charters.
Or come the meeting anyway.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just like a restaurant.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

We prefer 150% of the initial price. :-D

It depends on the time that you have, fish caught, company, and just the overall experience. I am generally tipped roughly $50 per person on the boat, but I don't count on it. To me it's just a bonus and let's me know whether or not the folks had a truly good time. :smt006

Now is a great time to get out there! :wink:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Keyser,I'll fish with you and you only have to give me $25.
What are buds for?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Keyser,I'll fish with you and you only have to give me $25.
What are buds for?
I'll be glad to pay you $25 as long as we can stay AWAY from YOUR holes. :-D The goal is to catch fish if you're going to go. :smt005

We do need to get out there though. Gotta get my boat back and we'll plan a trip. :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer:
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Perfect...thanks, guys. I will certainly post the report (mid-April)...Hopefully tails will be up and flies will fall in the right place.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

captkeyser wrote:
Jumptrout51 wrote:Keyser,I'll fish with you and you only have to give me $25.
What are buds for?
I'll be glad to pay you $25 as long as we can stay AWAY from YOUR holes. :-D The goal is to catch fish if you're going to go. :smt005

We do need to get out there though. Gotta get my boat back and we'll plan a trip. :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Stop buying your gas at USA stations and you will be fine.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I have never been on a chartered inshore trip but I have been on many offshore trips and I really don't see the need to tip a fellow that is a one man show. Mates on offshore boats, to my understanding, make a large part of their money through tips, with the capt. and the boat getting the lions share where as a stand alone guide is just him and the boat. I know there a several guides on this board and one is a really good friend of mine, so I hope It doesn't ruffle any feathers, it isn't ment to.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

I'd say it depends on how good the trip is.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I kinda find myself in agreement with barhopr. When I first read this thread I was thinking that, if I were a guide (I KNOW FAT CHANCE) I would establish my price based on what I needed to cover my cost of doing business. Profit, is a cost of doing business (imo). I would not expect a tip for doing what I've agreed to do for a price. If someone offered a tip, I suppose I'd accept it if I felt I'd done an over the top job or had to overcome some extraordinary circumstances but it would not be expected. I have tipped the mates when fishing party boats in the Keys. But, if it is a one person operation, I don't feel it would be necessary. I also don't mean to be critical of any of our members who offer guide services, their good people and in a tough business.

Now, another consideration (again jmo) I believe is what sort of back ground someone comes from. I know folks who were brought up in an enviorment where tipping was expected and perhaps necessary for survival. If they didn't tip, it would really bother them. If someone feels that tipping is to be expected then by all means do it.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Tough call Cuz, the only guides I use are for quail hunting. We tip if we kill birds.
GEAUX TIGERS!
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

I agree with all that has been said. I have always practiced tipping with the exception of a sole proprietor of a service. For example, the "one man shows" referred to or when the owner of a guide service is the one doing the guiding. When I was into sporting clays heavy, I would always tip the "trapper," but not if the trapper was the owner of the place. Same thing here, I guess. I always want to tip if someone has done a helluva job, but do not feel bad leaving without tipping if the opposite is true.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

MY Grandmother who was a hairdresser for many years (like 60) and owned her own shop for many of those put it best to me if you own the show don't expect a tip if you work for someone else its expected. That said I've always tipped well for good service and if a single owner/captain charted exceptionally well and overcame obsticals to put fish in the boat or just made me laugh my arse off all day, he's going to get a tip whether he owns the show or not.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

As the sole proprietor of my guide service, I do not expect a tip at the end of the day. I charge accordingly for my expertise and equipment and always strive to give my clients top service and a quality outing. My boat is kept is immaculate condition and I provide high-end tackle, licenses, rain gear and ice. That said, if I stay out extra on a hot bite, pole all day into a stiff wind or run miles to find fish in tough conditions (as I often do) or put an angler on a trophy fish like their first tarpon, I often get a tip in appreciation. The typical gratuity of 10-15% of my fee is always appreciated and helps pay for the day's gas for the boat or truck. You don't get rich in this business and when you figure the hourly rate of normal 12+ hour days (travel, time on the water, boat/tackle cleanup, rigging), it's a serious reality check. So let your conscience be your guide. If you've had a great time and want to reward your guide, do it. But you're certainly not obligated to pay more than the advertised fee.

Capt. Dave Lear
www.captaindavelear.com