Saturday 4/17 Econfina

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

georgiasportsman

Saturday 4/17 Econfina

Post by georgiasportsman »

Fished Econfina Saturday with my wife, a buddy and his wife. Launched the boat around 8:30 and was thankful to find plenty of water still in the river. We headed east and quickly found some trout on our first drift. Another boat pulled in right behind us on our drift. They proceeded to drift around us (not catching anything), then motored around in front of our drift back to our original starting point! :smt011
After that the bite slowed and I moved to another spot and found a few more shorts. Headed back west around 11:30 and found a few keeper trout. Around 2:00 we headed in and quickly found the reds. The first bite was a bigun that broke me off. We completed our 4 man (man/woman) limit in about an hour capping off a nice day on the water. Total for the day: about 40 short trout with 3 keepers, 2 short black sea bass, 1 big blue, 1 big sailcat, and 4 slot reds.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Saturday 4/17 Econfina

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Still a good day. We were there and yes there was a bunch of rude idiots out there too. :smt011
volguy

Post by volguy »

i tell you what, i think the idiot bus is pulling up at the econ ramp about every day now and offloading a whole bus load. i have never seen so many folks that are so clueless about fishing manners as this year. i can never remember people being so disrespectful fishing. last trip down a few weeks back we had two guys come within 30 feet of the boat and start a drift DOWN FROM US. i couldn't believe it. just really ruins a nice day of fishing for no reason at all.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

volguy wrote:i tell you what, i think the idiot bus is pulling up at the econ ramp about every day now and offloading a whole bus load. i have never seen so many folks that are so clueless about fishing manners as this year. i can never remember people being so disrespectful fishing. last trip down a few weeks back we had two guys come within 30 feet of the boat and start a drift DOWN FROM US. i couldn't believe it. just really ruins a nice day of fishing for no reason at all.
Same thing at St MArks lighthouse ramp yesterday. We had a guy just about back his Chaparral "flats" boat into my trailer as he unloaded, at a 45 degree angle across both lanes of the ramp, doing 15 mph backwards; then he made his teenage son walk it into the water up to this waist at 7am. Made me wonder how he makes it back to the ramp each time he goes out---
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

KEEP THE GOOD REPORTS COMING, MABEY THEY WILL STAY AWAY FROM MY SPOTS
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

It's not just the inshore boats that need to learn some manners, we had an offshore boat with 4 guys run right through us and about 5 other boats running wide open. I kept motioning for him to slow down(doing the hand-down real quick movement, hey it might not work) but he looked right at me and flew on by. It looked like a guide boat, had some kinda sticker on the starboard rear end the was shaped like a fish and said Reel Time or something like that. I hope they didn't catch a durn thing.Wife looked at me like I was crazy as I hollered at him when he went by.
Yours in the South
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

WEIGHTED TREBLE HOOK SURE WORKS FOR ME
FlatCrazy

Post by FlatCrazy »

I'm glad to see that Panama City is not the only place where rude idiots fish. While my father and I were fishing on Sunday a boat was cruising by further off the hill and witnessed my father fighting a fish. They immediately came off plane, did a U turn and fell in behind us in our drift only 150 yards or so behind us. Watched them catch what looked like a few shorts while we stroked keeper after keeper. After 25-30 minutes or so of following they had the nerve to pull up next to us and ask how we were fishing and what we were using for bait!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

OFFSHORE BOAT ARE GETTING FREE NUMBERS WHEN THEY PASS BY. RADER MAKE IT EVEN EASIER TO GET THEM. NEVER FIGHT A FISH IN PLAIN EYESIGHT OF ANOTHER BOAT. IF IT'S YOUR BEST NUMBER BETTER TO PACK-UP AND LEAVE
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Memo to self: remember reports of idiots reported re: Anky....hang couple of heavy, rusty lures on console and pack the heater with extra clips
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Redfin wrote:
volguy wrote:i tell you what, i think the idiot bus is pulling up at the econ ramp about every day now and offloading a whole bus load. i have never seen so many folks that are so clueless about fishing manners as this year. i can never remember people being so disrespectful fishing. last trip down a few weeks back we had two guys come within 30 feet of the boat and start a drift DOWN FROM US. i couldn't believe it. just really ruins a nice day of fishing for no reason at all.
Same thing at St MArks lighthouse ramp yesterday. We had a guy just about back his Chaparral "flats" boat into my trailer as he unloaded, at a 45 degree angle across both lanes of the ramp, doing 15 mph backwards; then he made his teenage son walk it into the water up to this waist at 7am. Made me wonder how he makes it back to the ramp each time he goes out---
I think I saw this guy too, had the engine running before it was in the water :hammer:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, behavior like what we're all talking is making it kinda hard to teach my teenager about good boating and fishing ettiquette. :-?
I say stuff like, "Give that boat some respect and pass him real wide on the upwind side." :thumbup:
He says stuff like, "Why should we, no body gives us any respect." :smt012
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Wow...and its not even scallop season yet!! Cant wait if this is a sign of things to come. I drove past the Lanark landing on Sat afternoon and it looked like a nightmare too.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

BrogensDuck wrote:Wow...and its not even scallop season yet!! Cant wait if this is a sign of things to come. I drove past the Lanark landing on Sat afternoon and it looked like a nightmare too.
We usually stay at my buddy's place at Keaton 4th of July weekend.. for some good times, we take the golf cart to the public ramp at the end of the canal at bout 6ish-
Pop top, sitback, enjoy. Nothing better than the Keaton Karnival.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Redfin wrote:
BrogensDuck wrote:Wow...and its not even scallop season yet!! Cant wait if this is a sign of things to come. I drove past the Lanark landing on Sat afternoon and it looked like a nightmare too.
We usually stay at my buddy's place at Keaton 4th of July weekend.. for some good times, we take the golf cart to the public ramp at the end of the canal at bout 6ish-
Pop top, sitback, enjoy. Nothing better than the Keaton Karnival.
While I was getting the truck(during last scallop season at Keaton) my wife said some fool came in and struck every boat in the basin(except mine she pushed him off with the short push pole) :smt011 Dang idiots are going to kill somebody!! :smt011