Bowrider useful in the panhandle?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: Bowrider useful in the panhandle?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Are you drinking again John?
And to answer the question, not yet but about to.... getting ready to do my JT hole patrol duty! :smt005 salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

JT honors well-oiled patrolmen. :thumbup:
Keep up the good work soldier. salute1
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Lonesouth just didn't seem to be taking the short but sweet approach to heart! :-D :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

lonesouth wrote:I'm looking to get an 18-21' bowrider and would prefer an I/O. I've read up and understand the benefits of an outboard, but want an I/O for this particular boat. My question is, will I be able to use it in this area? I'm running the lakes, mostly Jackson, but Iamonia also, and out of St. Marks and Keyton Beach. I imagine it will be 70/30 sporting/fishing. The boats I'm looking at have a draft of ~33/16" drive down/up. It seems there is some concern about the draft being too deep for certain areas. While I understand that this is a fishing forum, and most here are probably outboard, what are the thoughts on such a boat for skiing/wakeboarding and scalloping?
If you will be skiing/wakeboarding and scalloping...in that order you'll be fine. just leave fishing out of it.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

PpFfTt!!
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
QueenB
Site Sponsor

Post by QueenB »

Hello to all!! I haven't posted in a long time but those of you that know me, know I have a Bayliner with an I/O so I have to put my two cents in. Everyone is right on here about the ski boat limiting some of the fishing spots and where you can put the boat in and out. I always watch the tides and I avoid putting in at certain places. There are still plenty of places you can go and if you have a GPS you should be able to navigate St. Marks and the lighthouse area without trouble. Learn where the rock garden is and respect it! We wanted this type of boat for the same reasons you do except my reason was fish and ski....not ski and fish. The bowrider is great fun with the family. I fish out of mine all the time but I grew up fishing out of this kind of boat so it seems normal to me. It's great for pulling the kids on skis or tubes.....I love mine, but we don't catch the fish that others on here do. Don't get me wrong, we do alright and we sure have a lot of fun...I wouldn't trade it for anything, not at the moment anyway. It's a boat the whole family can enjoy...just my two cents...I know all you hardcore fishing guys wont agree with me....just a Mom's perspective :)
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

big bend gyrene wrote: ...
Bet if you could see all the board members' boats lined up side by side you would find it's not just that the bulk have outboards, many would also have jackplates and would be installed on shallow drafting boats. And it's not that we're all going up in creeks trying to get on reds in inches of water (though some of us are :-D...
Now my friend you are getting personal....you just described my antique FisnN'SKIBarge and the infamous STRIKE TWO! :smt005

Somebody needs to write me a song.."I been stuck, I been stranded, I been grounded, I have experience waiting six hours on a tide,
I've had to wade, I've been towed"....all in multiples. Verses could describe the 4 bottoms on the skiff and the reason for the name
STRIKE TWO!

This weekend I'll see you on a bar or up a creek! salute1
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

But other than that if your seal rots and starts to leak on the foot your a fish attraction structure.

I run a 2380 Caroline Skiff I've busted thhe foot bent the shaft the prop countless times poke a hole in the hull a couple of times.

The owner of the fish camp where I go had fished there for years and knocked it good the other day and needs a new foot.

BOAT BRING OVER ANOTHER THOUSEND or BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSEND
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Well....I see what you are gonna buy when that Blue Bronco sells. :-D I'd stay away from I/O.....
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

what bronco?

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/1771163657.html

ok, so lets see some suggestions on a family friendly and comfortable outboard that will carry up to 8 in the 18-21' range, not a center console, suitable for wake boarding/tubing and cruising, but won't get smashed on the rocks...
850-273-8818
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Why not center console?
GEAUX TIGERS!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

not as comfy for the family and friends. Not hunting for a fishing boat, hunting for a sporting boat, but something that will not be dashed to pieces in the available waters.

is this better, being an OB, but similar hull design?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Gla ... 20b1198309
850-273-8818
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

What you need my friend is a deck boat........ with an outboard! Check out Hurricane Deck Boats. Not sure about prices but I think that this is the style boat that would suit you best.
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

I hate to say it, but the oil spill should factor into your decision. Really do your homework and try to draw a conclusion on whether or not our gulf fishery is about to be dessicated for many years to come. Or, just wait a few months to see if they ever do cap the thing or cut it off.

I'm not sure what the outlook for St. Marks scallops is this year, and I haven't checked for them myself. The first sign of oil sheen would eliminate a desire to consume them if they even survived it.

If you are married, I am sure you are getting pressured to buy a comfy boat with cushy seats and an am/fm stereo with a CD player, maybe even a wake tower so the kids can start flying through the air.

At the moment, the worst part about buying a bowrider, especially a new one, is the lack of dealers in the big bend. There are a few out in panama city, and there are plenty in central florida. I think there used to be one in bainbridge, but I don't know if it is there anymore. So, your local selection will be small. And, if you needed warranty service on anything but the engine, you might have a long annoying drive if you buy from out of town.

I would advocate waiting until after Labor Day. You lose a summer of boating/fishing, but you will find sweeter deals after the season, you might have a larger down payment saved up, and you will be able to assess the marine environment much better.

On a side note, if and when the local marine environment is impacted, I believe that the pressure on fresh water lakes and rivers (and boatramps) will skyrocket. I doubt an oily gulf will diminish the fundamental desire of many folks to get out on the water (somewhere).
Work 'em silly Gators!!