What's the deal?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

What's the deal?

Post by dolphinatic »

Had a buddy call me this morning to tell me that he wants to go on an all out fishing trip one more time before he sells his boat. I asked him why he was selling it. He told me that he has little time to use it these days and that he would rather have a few bucks out of it while he can still get something for it. This will be the 3rd person I know that will be putting their boat up for sale this year. Anybody got any ideas as to what has changed over the past year or so? Is the economy that bad? Are we just busier? I haven't been fishing since the Rock the Dock tournament and all my fishing stuff is in storage right now. I've just been busy as a self employed detailer taking every job thrown my way just to stay working. Boat work is practically non-existent. I've done 2 boats this month and 3 in the last 6 weeks. This time last year I was averaging 10 a month :roll: Even the "high rollers" I've been doing work for over the past few years are nowhere to be found. I'm thinking that the only way to have a consistent fishing schedule these days is to become a realtor or open a skin care facility with my wife :-D Just a few random thoughts on this lovely rainy morn......
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
big bend gyrene

Re: What's the deal?

Post by big bend gyrene »

dolphinatic wrote:I'm thinking that the only way to have a consistent fishing schedule these days is to become a realtor or open a skin care facility with my wife :-D......
Imagine this is only going to make you feel worse, but a certain realtor and office manager spent about 10 minutes yesterday singing your praises and talking about how smart and fine a fellow you are. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

:oops:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

A lot of people have commented about how little time they have spend on the water this year. Must be something not in the water. Weather has been a huge detractor too.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

jsuber wrote:A lot of people have commented about how little time they have spend on the water this year. Must be something not in the water. Weather has been a huge detractor too.
But it hasn't affected you my friend! :-D :wink:
Team Jolly Mon
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I was thinking economy and oil spill, but suber has a really good point with the weather comment. We've had a lot of wind and rain this year, coupled with an extremely cold Winter, followed by an extremely hot Summer. It has seriously cut into my fishing time lately. I hope we have a long Fall this year with lots of sunny days.

I for one am going fishing from my kayak this evening (weather permitting). Hopefully it will never get to the point where I have to sell it.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

IMHO, everyone is working all the time trying to stay afloat with the economy in the ditch. So everyone is selling all off their pleasure/nice to have items.

My biggest fear, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Probably going to get a lot worse before better.
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Going Saturday :thumbup: :beer: Hey Tom set us up a trip on the big boat for October call me and lets talk :thumbup: :thumbup:
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

The heat! My god the heat!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Between work, school, working out and playing golf :roll: :hammer: - I haven't had much time to fish :oops:
bman

Post by bman »

I agree that the weather and economy have taken its toll
But Ive just adopted a Work harder play hard mentality. Anyone who thinks working in real estate in this market is easy is nuts.
Ive taken on more clients that last year- worked everything from a 50K deal up to over 1million and everything in between.
Worked hard loans and helped clients in hard situations.
And brought two new agents into my office.

What I know is if I react to the current climate with fear people see it.
I try to focus on wise decisions, seek out good advice and and focus on what I can control.

I also know I have to take time to play and recharge- otherwise I feel like Don Quixote fighting windmills all day while the world goes on.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

big bend gyrene wrote:
dolphinatic wrote:I'm thinking that the only way to have a consistent fishing schedule these days is to become a realtor or open a skin care facility with my wife :-D......
Imagine this is only going to make you feel worse, but a certain realtor and office manager spent about 10 minutes yesterday singing your praises and talking about how smart and fine a fellow you are. :thumbup:
This they said while fishing. :lol:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

So for those of us looking...is it about to be a good time to buy? Is the end of the summer when a lot of people usually sell boats?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

It's definitely a buyers market if you'll take your time and look thoroughly. Just be fair with the seller, no need in kicking a man while he's selling his boat.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I know of one outboard that's definitely ready to take on a new owner :wink: