Small engine sputtering problem

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BrogensDuck

Small engine sputtering problem

Post by BrogensDuck »

Yamaha 9.9 4 strk. Pulled it out after the winter's nap, re-fueled, cleaned carb (as much as an amateur can), changed oil, cleaned filter and got it going. While it will run for ever (seemingly) on low throttle, anything more than that gives me about 30 seconds of love then dies down to idle RPM, catches its breath and then slowly revs back up as if I were doing it with the tiller then another 30 seconds of love. At neutral position,WOT, I am still getting bluish white smoke. Every now and then it will pop, like it is spitting something out. Frankly, every time it pops, I wonder if that one pop is clearing the junk...not yet.

The fuel line is pretty old, so I am thinking of changing that, but wondering if there is more than just that will solve. I have put about a half tank (1 HR) of run time into it since cleaning, so I wonder if there is any amount more of gas I need to run through it. I am getting better throttle response now than I was early in the game, but still having to massage it a bit sometimes when it falls out on me.

Still a carb issue? Mixture problem? I see Mr Porter in my future telling me something stupid I did.

Any help would be much appreciated.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Small engine sputtering problem

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

LOOSEN THE FILLER CAP ON YOUR FUEL TANK, DRAIN CARB. BOWL,CHECK FUEL FILTER, CHECK FUEL LINE BE SURE IT CAN HANDLE ETHANOL FUEL, SEEMS LIKE SOME RUBBER FROM ONE OF THE ELEMENTS THE FUEL GOES THROUGH HAS SOME SPONGE RUBBER IN THE HIGH SPEED JET, BLOW OUT WITH AIR HOSE, JUST A FEW OF A HUNDRED THINGS THAT COULD BE WRONG.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

What Pa said. :thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Check fuel vent.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I'd put an additive in the gas. Star-Tron is my pick. Use two times the rec. dose for starters.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Thanks...I will try those things and give it a rip again. The issue of the fuel line and air seems like it might be the case as I have never had to work so hard to get the fuel pumped from the tank to the engine prior to starting. Make sense?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO AN AIR TANK YA MIGHT WANT TO BLOW OUT THE FUEL LINE FROM THE ENGINE TOWARD THE TANK AND SEE IF THAT HELPS.
FUTCHCAIRO
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Great idea. Thanks
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Sounds like it is starving and all the ideas are spoton to get it cleaned out. I am betting on ehtanol/fuel line issues. Is there a filter in this system?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

onefishtwofish wrote:Sounds like it is starving and all the ideas are spoton to get it cleaned out. I am betting on ehtanol/fuel line issues. Is there a filter in this system?
De-carbing the motor with Sea Foam might help...
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Sharks R Us wrote:
onefishtwofish wrote:Sounds like it is starving and all the ideas are spoton to get it cleaned out. I am betting on ehtanol/fuel line issues. Is there a filter in this system?
De-carbing the motor with Sea Foam might help...
:thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

Oil sensor and bad plugs...just in case anyone has similar issues. Waivel wins again.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Waivel is the man!!!