St George Island fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mean24

St George Island fishing

Post by mean24 »

Down here at St George for the weekend. Went out in the bay today and caught only one redfIsh. Was asking please for where I should roughly fish here since it's my first time here. Thanks
mean24

Re: St George Island fishing

Post by mean24 »

Mainly looking for action for me my Gf and her parents.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Fish on the high tide in close if it comes early or late. Otherwise find a gradient drop off to deep water and find them.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
mean24

Post by mean24 »

Like down there near the state park guard station? And is there any boat launches besides the one at the bridge?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

State park has a ramp. Carrabelle city ramp is good. Apalachicola ramp (under bay bridge) is good.

http://fishingdestinguide.com/boatramps ... EORGE.html
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Im heading down there as well on sunday and would any input as well, on fishing and scallops.
Jollyman

Post by Jollyman »

If you have a 4X4 ask park guide to buy a pass that will let you go down to the end of the park. there is a gate that he will give you the code to and drive until it dead ends. You will be fishing in the East pass btw Dog Island and SGI. You can catch mackeral, trout, reds, jacks, and sharks. Also if you have rented a place at the Plantation go to it dead ends and bob sikes cut can be productive. There are jetties and you wander out as far as you can comfortably and toss some shrimp and hold on. My son caught a 28 inch red there a couple years back. Talk to the guy at Survivors he should know some hot spots. good luck and enjoy the 4th.
mean24

Post by mean24 »

Jolly thank you
TheWhaler15

Post by TheWhaler15 »

Jollyman wrote:If you have a 4X4 ask park guide to buy a pass that will let you go down to the end of the park. there is a gate that he will give you the code to and drive until it dead ends. You will be fishing in the East pass btw Dog Island and SGI. You can catch mackeral, trout, reds, jacks, and sharks. Also if you have rented a place at the Plantation go to it dead ends and bob sikes cut can be productive. There are jetties and you wander out as far as you can comfortably and toss some shrimp and hold on. My son caught a 28 inch red there a couple years back. Talk to the guy at Survivors he should know some hot spots. good luck and enjoy the 4th.
They recently re-did the road to the East Pass so a 4x4 is no longer needed. Also, go to Island Outfitters and talk to the captain. He is very nice and always willing to give out some pointers.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Thanks for the input, im bringing my 14 foot boat and hope to do some fishing in the bay at the st park ramp, went there last year and a little luck. Was planning on driving over to lanark to try and get some scallops.
Tallydoc

Post by Tallydoc »

I have fished the bay side of SGI/LittleSGI 1-2 times a week for the last 8 years, and the last several months have been the slowest fishing there in my memory. Just don't seem to be many fish in Apalachicola Bay. The flats off Marsh Island, and All Tides Cove always offer the prospect of a good trip, with reliable reds, but not lately. Now, with 4 hrs of hard fishing, there' often little to show for it. Anyone else feeling similarly frustrated, or am I just loosing my touch?

Fished bay side of St Vincent's few days ago in my kayak.....looked very fishy, with no weeds......32in red inhaled a topwater.....but that was only strike in 3 hrs of steady casting. Where are the fish?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I am right there with you Doc. Two or three quality fish but that is all in a day of fishing. I am blaming it on Obama.
Aquamaholic

Post by Aquamaholic »

Fished out of lanark, last Sunday and Tuesday. Caught a 30" red on Sunday and not another bight the rest of the day. Tuesday we could not find a keeper fish,we fished most of Dog Island and DIR, it was one of the worst days Ive ever had fishing (it did still beat working though!!!) I chalked it up to all of the boat traffic around the area and high pressure, but who knows.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

my recent experiences on the islands has not been the same. Fish are fat over there right now. Been catching fish on TW all day. Start shallow and move deeper as it gets hot. I have found the fish to be patchy though. If you're not catching, then move to another location. Once you find active fish they'll bite for a few hours, then move again.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

SHOWBOAT wrote:my recent experiences on the islands has not been the same. Fish are fat over there right now. Been catching fish on TW all day. Start shallow and move deeper as it gets hot. I have found the fish to be patchy though. If you're not catching, then move to another location. Once you find active fish they'll bite for a few hours, then move again.
Dang it Showboat, you're telling all our secrets.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"