Vacation Help: The Mountains

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Vacation Help: The Mountains

Post by Scoop Sea »

My wife wants to head up to the mountains for vacation in August. Why she wants to leave God's Country, with the beaches, fishing, rivers, etc, I don't know, but she does. I'm not big on heading up there, but since she puts up with me when I am here (and runs the house like a champ when I am gone), I feel that she is more than deserving on making the vacation choice. We've done Boone, NC and Helen, Ga. a few times, but that's about it. She has advised that she would like to go see the Biltmore and possibly head over to Chattanooga as well. In turn, if any of you all have any suggestions on places to go up there, things to see/do, etc, with two kids, I would greatly appreciate some insight. Currently we are wide open on where we are going, however, I would like to put together some type of plan to work with.

In advance, thanks for the insight.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Vacation Help: The Mountains

Post by captkeyser »

I feel ya Chris. My wife "makes" me take a mountain trip once a year. I always try and get her to head somewhere we can tow the boat, but it doesn't happen. We took a trip last year to Blue Ridge, GA. I believe it is close to Helen, but not sure. We rented a cabin on the very top of a foot hill and had a fantastic time. There are some excellent deals up there. Check out vrbo.com. (vacation rental by owner)

Hopefully this helps.

Eric
Last edited by captkeyser on July 15th, 2011, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... =5&t=28923
Just a suggestion and it is not too far from home.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

captkeyser wrote:I feel ya Chris. My wife "makes" me take a mountain trip once a year. I always try and get her to head somewhere we can tow the boat, but it doesn't happen. We took a trip last year to Blue Ridge, GA. I believe it is close to Helen, but not sure. We rented a cabin on the very top of a foot hill and had a fantastic time. There are some excellent deals up there. Check out vrbo.com. (vacation rental by owner)

Hopefully this helps.

Eric
Keyser, Next time the Wife says take me on a mountain trip, tell her let's go to Hawaii. Big mountains and all the water in the world. It is so Blue and Green.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

BlueRidge is fun. Canoeing, rafting or tubing on the river is a good day for young and old. Katie and I just booked some time in Dahlongega, GA as well. There are about 12 wineries up there and the house backs up to the SMNP, so we'll do some hiking. My mom and sister went to the Biltmore a year or two ago and were very impressed.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

The Biltmore is pretty cool but take you're walking shoes. It's all uphill, even the walk down the stairs.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Try this place in Blowing Rock.
You will like it.
Especially your wife.
http://www.westglowresortandspa.com/42/ ... tglow.html
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Try this place in Blowing Rock.
You will like it.
Especially your wife.
http://www.westglowresortandspa.com/42/ ... tglow.html
We stayed there last year :roll: ....they didn't care too much for us cleaning fish on the back porch :smt005
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

SHOWBOAT wrote:BlueRidge is fun. Canoeing, rafting or tubing on the river is a good day for young and old. Katie and I just booked some time in Dahlongega, GA as well. There are about 12 wineries up there and the house backs up to the SMNP, so we'll do some hiking. My mom and sister went to the Biltmore a year or two ago and were very impressed.
Here is something you and Katie might like.
Luxury Camping Excursion

Rate: $695 for one person; $495 per person for two or more
Enjoy a scenic hike with a personal guide through 13 miles of mountain trails to a predetermined and already set up campsite. Here you will enjoy hors d’ oeuvres and dinner prepared by our own fine dining chefs. You’ll awake the next morning to a camp breakfast. Offered seasonally.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Sevierville/Gatlinburg TN
Beech Mountain, NC
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Jumptrout51 wrote:
SHOWBOAT wrote:BlueRidge is fun. Canoeing, rafting or tubing on the river is a good day for young and old. Katie and I just booked some time in Dahlongega, GA as well. There are about 12 wineries up there and the house backs up to the SMNP, so we'll do some hiking. My mom and sister went to the Biltmore a year or two ago and were very impressed.
Here is something you and Katie might like.
Luxury Camping Excursion

Rate: $695 for one person; $495 per person for two or more
Enjoy a scenic hike with a personal guide through 13 miles of mountain trails to a predetermined and already set up campsite. Here you will enjoy hors d’ oeuvres and dinner prepared by our own fine dining chefs. You’ll awake the next morning to a camp breakfast. Offered seasonally.
guided hiking with camp chefs :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
you must have me confused with someone else
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

CORRECTION MADE:
Here is something Katie might like.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We went to TN., NC. when the youngun was 8 or 9 and the one thing she remembers most about the trip was sliding back and forth across the back set on the mountain roads and the trolley ride that takes you up the mountain backwards that was in "I think" Chatanooga :-D I think she enjoyed just riding and seeing all the stuff you don't see aroung here most of all though :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Nantahala Lodge at Nantahala Village. In Western North Carolina. Beautiful area to rest and relax and not too far from Biltmore and such.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DHaun

Post by DHaun »

Yes - Nantahala is a beautiful area if you want "real" mountain scenery next to a cold water river with great rafting. Same with boone and all the other NC ski towns - they are real nice for the women - I recall lots of shops... Chattanooga is a bigger city most folks stop by on the way to check out - it has has Rock City, Ruby Falls, Chickamauga Battlefield, the Incline on Lookout Mountain and a huge Aquarium and Art museum on the Riverfront...with a lot of investment in numerous nice restaraunts and many walkable sites to see - the Aquarium also has a big boat that will run you down to the TN river gorge about 50mph - which is another incredible site.

Here is some Chattanooga footage...I live there most of the time and work/fish/stay with family down here in the Summer

-Hope this info helps

Chattanooga view from the river (the valley with several mountains around it)
http://www.vimeo.com/24959999[/video]

Premo Fireworks from the Riverbend festival
http://www.vimeo.com/25310164[/video]
Last edited by DHaun on July 16th, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.