Narrowed down...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Narrowed down...

Post by flatsbroke »

Need some advice from the fella's "in the know"...I recently purchased a custom 7 ft casting rod from Gulf Coast(BBF member) and looking to rig it w/ the right reel.Wanting to stay somewhere around$125-150 range I've narrowed it to 3 reels,two of which I know very little about..1)Diawa Coastal,2)Abu Garcia"Orra" Inshore Ed. 3)Shimano Curado200. I really like the Curado but it's not listed as a saltwater reel,I suppose it'll be fine though as long as I rinse every trip and perform maintenance.Y'all tell me,I spent too much at Christmas on the GF and kiddos so trying to keep it modest on the price,need the most bang for my buck.
Flatsbroke
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Re: Narrowed down...

Post by salty tiger »

hard to beat the Curado. I've been fishing mine in the salt for a few years and it's holding up fine.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Curado 200 E7 or the new Curado G6. I am after all a Shimano fan so I am a little biased. They have tried and tested technology and will hold up even when exposed to a slight salt wetting. As long as they are properly cared for and maintained.
The Daiwa Coastal has corrosion resistant bearings and a multi layer drag system which I prefer to single drag washers. The Orra might be a little difficult to access the cast control system, but does have the corrosion resistant bearings as well as the multi disc drag.
I might be tempted to try the Daiwa due to the price and the extra corrosion resistance over the Shimano. I do like the Shimano's performance even after over a year of flats fishing. It is very dependable.
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

I can get the 200E7 for same price as the other two,bout a buck and a half....I like it and the Coastal,just dont wanna go wrong,leaning towards the 200 E7 if you guys can back me up on that.
Flatsbroke
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

VERY informative info btw,FishinFool....Thanks.
Flatsbroke
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

correction; it's the new G series...the 200G7 to be exact,bout decided I'm gonna go w/ it.
Flatsbroke
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

You won't regret that decision. That's a great reel.
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I fished Ambassadeur reels exclusively for 45 years.
3 years ago I decided to try a Curado.
I now fish curados exclusively.
They are all 200e7.
I have 6 of them.
I fish saltwater.
I do not rinse them often.
They all still work fine.
The biggest problem is the limerock dust on the road to Mandaly at Aucilla.
When I get to the ramp I dunk them in river water to wash off the dust.
Then I go catch lots of fish.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
flatsbroke
Site Sponsor

Post by flatsbroke »

Thanks for the confirmation JT,see ya at Williams landing ramp.I'll look for the fellow dipping his reels,that's a great idea,I fish outta there 80% of the time.@ Dave-dropping your decals in the box at lunch today.
Flatsbroke
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have a couple Core reels, a Chronarch and one of the new Curados. All have performed well and they are used in salt water. Great drags, ability to fine-tune the settings and light-weight.

But JT is probably the best testimony for the Curados. He does fish them hard and maintenance definitely isn't his top priority. :lol:
MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

there are a few reels youan left out of good afortyable to 100 to150 type baitcaster reels are like a girl friendyou got to find one you like and keep it lube
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

I have owned a curado several years now and have had zero issues with it. I do rinse it after every trip to the coast. Smooth drag when dealing with large Reds and I find myself reaching for it on a regular basis.

I can't speak about the other two reels since I have no experience.

Tight lines.....