Off shore , Dec 31st

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Carlabear

Off shore , Dec 31st

Post by Carlabear »

Left econfina at daylight and ran out to AJ hole 38 miles from mouth of Ecofina. Looking for red grouper. Saw a large school ajs but wouldn't bite dead bait. Moved out about 4 miles further south and caught Large snapper....went back , 1 red grouper, and 2 gags with about 12 large notted head black seabass. The gags and snapper had to go back :( ..

The only reason the feds allowed more red grouper is because they know you cant catch a limit!..... my opinion! Any way had several gags trolling and bottm fishing 34 = 80 feet. All went back :(

Had a great day on the water.... spent 46 gal of gas to run out 41 miles and troll during day also. Decided not to go back on Sunday due to mostly catching gags. I know where they are! Had double knock downs on one spot but no red grouper! The gags were everywhere! It is a shame with so much action on gags . Anyway thats my story...Hope everywone had a safe and Happy New Year and productive fishing year at BBF.net :smt006
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Off shore , Dec 31st

Post by Harmsway »

I'm not bitter either, Carlebear. :smt091 :smt093
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

That's a good boat run for the day. Good news on the gag action - though shame you couldn't put 'em on ice. Thanks for the report.
"Plan for the worst."
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Same story 3 weeks ago when we went CB....wish we could keep the gags but it is what it is, red grouper go to 4 a piece and gags go to 0...doesnt make sense to us but what do we know...
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Thanks for the report Carla, At least you got out there. Its been awhile for me.
Sea Ya !
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I agree carlabear. They don't want you to keep anything offshore. We went yesterday out of Carrabelle and had a couple limits of gags, a nice red snapper and NO! red grouper.