What fish finder/GPS unit to buy???

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

What fish finder/GPS unit to buy???

Post by woodstock52 »

I am looking for some advice on a fishfinder/GPS units. I fish the flats, & local lakes/rivers. In a 18' Express SV. I have never had a GPS, & only a low in fishfinder
Have been thinking about the Humminingbird 597ci HD DI, but it seems I will need to add a Navionics card for our inshore waters. I am not sure which card or if it is truly needed. This unit is $600.00 + -, plus adding a map card.
The other unit I like is the Lowrance Elite-5 DSI Gold, it has the Navionics Gold map pre installed for $700.00
I know there are a lot of better (more $) units out there but I am trying to be somewhat tight with my $.
Maybe the units I am thinking about are the wrong ones for me, I am just not sure. HELP!!!!

Thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: What fish finder/GPS unit to buy???

Post by Salty Gator »

I've been happy with my lowrance. You probably can't go wrong either way. My father in law likes his garmin, but has had to send in back once or twice. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dial Tone

Post by Dial Tone »

garmin has great customer service. The word from others is Lowrance has been known to be difficult to deal with on warranty issues. Water intrusion being the main issue. Look at other boards to confirm.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

Thanks for the info.
But what about the need to add a Navionics Map card, & which one if one is needed.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Most every manufacturer sells a GPS unit with a built in base map. It's just that. If you want detailed mapping you have to buy it. If you fish both fresh and salt, take a look at the Garmin 431. It has built in lakes maps that are decent. Add a Mapsource Bluechart card for our area and you have very good mapping for the coast.

Both of the units you mentioned are small units. Trying to do everything with one unit is frustrating. Trying to navigate and look at the bottom on one small unit will drive you nuts. Spend your money on the GPS and add a separate bottom machine. Any of the Lowrance Mark-5 units will give you a good bottom picture and surface temp for as little as $159.
What was I supposed to do today?
piratediver850
Site Sponsor

Post by piratediver850 »

I would say Garmin 541S. Really easy to use interface, preloaded mapping for US marine waterways(Very little frshwater). The Blue Chart G2 mapping is by far the best value, the amouns of data is amazing. A comp. Navionics Platnium Plus is region specific and range from 200-400, Garmin comes preloaded. Bottom machine portion is nothing fancy, basic desinty scale, but easy to understand like an old sitex machine. Garmin gets you by not including the transducer. another 70-120 Plus the cost of the machine at 599 and the price is around 720 The Lowrance you mentioned has pretty decent mapping being that its loaded with Navionics Gold. It has basic marine detials(channels markers, average depths.) but it also includes freshwater mapping, and the transducer. Its turn key outa the box for around 620. Both unis are 5 inch screens both do split screen Garim is horizontal and Lowrance is vertical. Nothing beats seperate machines but when space is an issue a 5 inch combo will et the job done nicley.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

Great info guy,s . Thanks. I will continue to watch these post, as I want to be informed before I drop the cash.
There is nothing like info from the people that use these items in our area.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I have a Lowrance 5 and a Garmin 441. I like the Lowrance better
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I have an older generation Lowrance (7" screen) that I use. I think it's the 28HD. Does both GPS & bottom machine on a split screen so you can look at both, in 1 spot at the same time.
I'd buy another one in a heart beat if something happened to this one.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Not sure about the customer service issue. Knock on wood, but I haven't had to send mine in for anything. It is an 05 model and still works well. My father in laws garmin has had to go back once or twice, and is a newer model.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven