Scallops

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

APheroes

Scallops

Post by APheroes »

Anyone have any input as to what this influx of fresh water is going to do for the scallops? Just wondering,, we were headed to St Joe bay next weekend, but with all this rain I was wondering how it may affect the salinity of the water and effect on the scallops?
bman

Re: Scallops

Post by bman »

Last time this happened it flushed the scallops out to deep water.
A biologist said it can even kill them.

Good news on StJoe is there is very littel freshwater running into that bay.
St marks is another story :-(

I dont think we will know for a few weeks.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

haven't looked yet but I hear the FWC survey #s are way down....
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
BeachRum1962

Post by BeachRum1962 »

According to the FWC sampling just completed last week, the SJB area scallop abundance was going to be way down anyway.

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/

I imagine Debby is wreaking havoc on habitat and salinity.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Wondered the same thing, APheroes, though I would guess that it's more critical how much water we get earlier in the year when they have time to move... sure they can move a bit before season opens, but guessing (emphasis on the "guessing") not that much.

Secondary, if not primary concern, I would have if going next week is how much the water clarity will be affected. Much of the Econfina area was as clear as a bell earlier this year. Guessing that's going to change for at least a while now. Not that huge of an issue to me, as I actually prefer holding off on my scalloping adventures until the insanity calms down just a bit after season has been open a month or so and the scallops are a bit bigger.
salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
APheroes

Post by APheroes »

Thanks for the replies. I guess all that matters is the kids have a good time trying to find them. Spending time with the family is the important part.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

I wouldn't be worried about what Affect the Freash water will have on the scallops my self its all the shit thats going to be flowing outta the septic tank that i would worry about...
Now yall have a great day guys
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

What do the numbers stand for? If I'm reading correctly, the Steinhatchee area will have far less than half of what they had last year?
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

Redbelly, The number in the test area they counted I.e 600square meters. Read the top paragraph
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

Dupe
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Say bye bye to 2012 scallop season
Stay Thirsty My Friends
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

on the flip side, St. Marks will have 3x more than last year :)
850-273-8818
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

My past experience tells me they are gone... Since it is early they may come back towards the end of the season, but I'm going looking on Sunday.
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

As I start to plan a few scalloping trips for the kids I was curious to see how the scallop population is looking for this year. For over 10 years the FWC has been doing Bay Scallop population surveys and for the last few years they’ve been posting the data on line.

Looking at the FWC website that notes annual abundance surveys it appears it’s gonna be a challenging year to scallop in Steinhatchee, Crystal River looks like it’ll be similar to last year’s abundance, St Marks area looks like it has an improvement in numbers, and St Joseph Bay populations are markedly low.

Below is a link to the annual FWC Bay Scallop population surveys:
http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/

Where I like to scallop (Steinhatchee) it looks like it we’re gonna have to hunt hard to find em. Nevertheless, we’ll still scallop this year-we’ll just have to hunt harder. We’ll see you out there.
Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I fished St. Joe yesterday and it was nasty. Alot of brown dirty water. Unfortunately all of Port St. Joe and Cape San Blas drain into the bay so there is alot of fresh storm water in the bay especially on the St. Joe/Presnells side of the bay. The water around Eagle Harbor was somewhat cleaner but still kinda dirty. It will be interesting to see what the scallop reports are from Sunday. Winston Chester had an interesting show on the scallop count in St. Joe bay and it shows where every 4th year the scallop count goes way down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbAmOm8V ... ature=plcp