St Joe Bay help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

St Joe Bay help

Post by Salty Gator »

Hello all, I wanted to see if I could get a little info about st joe bay. My longtime mentor and good friend is bringing his family from Birmingham (mt brook) Al. He will be staying on cape San Blas between march 9 and mar 16. He has a 22' bay boat that draws 16". I have only fished the bay twice and that was a few years ago. We fished around Black island and did pretty well, but that is the extent of my knowledge. Any help on where to put in or where to start a drift would be great. Redfish and trout are the main target, but anything biting is fair game. As usual, not looking for any honey holes, just an idea of where to start. Also, should we consider fishing app bay? Any idea when the triple tail show up? Thanks for the help
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: St Joe Bay help

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Anywhere and everywhere from Presnells to the head of the bay.
The draft on the boar will be a issue for the skinny stuff..
From Presnells back to the City Ramp will hold fish on a rising tide.
The 4-5 foot drop along there on a low tide is good.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The sand holes on the Middle Grounds might attract some fish this time of year.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

On the Cape, the only launch point is the State Park. Unless you buy a year pass and get the access code, the gate doesn't open until 8am (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the time). In PSJ I've launched at the city ramp and Presnells. Indian Pass is also right down the road, and there is some great fishing on the backside of St. Vincent-just be aware of oyster bars.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Oversize redfish on last two channel buoys inside the bay at the tip of the point. Some sheephead showing up on the buoys as well. The gulf county canal and the ICW are flooded with fresh water.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

My good friends John and Todd own the Cape Trading Post out on the Cape. It's a full line grocery store with fishing, frozen bait, hardware, camping, tourist stuff, and prepared food. They also have a liquor store. They fish the bay as much as possible and talk to a lot of the local fishermen and guides so they know what is biting. Tell him to stop in and talk to them for up to date information. They will know if the pompano are running yet, if the sheepshead are eating, or maybe what the flounder are doing, as well as if the trout and reds are on the flats.
Last week John told me a guy did really well on specks in the back end of the bay on the holes in the grass flats but we've had a lot of cold weather and a lot of cold, muddy fresh water heading down since then. Because there is no creek or river flowing in the back of the bay it is usually clearer than most surrounding areas when we have this much fresh water flowing down. Just hope for warm weather and light winds while he is here.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks a bunch y'all. Great info. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how we/they do. Thanks again
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven