Walk Behind Weed Wackers

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MarkM

Walk Behind Weed Wackers

Post by MarkM »

Any one out there have any experience or suggestions? Getting too old to carry one around. Thanks.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Re: Walk Behind Weed Wackers

Post by red_yakker »

It depends on what you're using it for. For regular weed whacking jobs (fence posts, trees, edge of house, etc.) they suck. The one I've used (DR Trimmer) is so doggon heavy, that even with the added benefit of the wheels, it's very clumsy. The extra width (from the wheels) makes it difficult to get up close to the edge of the house. Any sort of hills or rough terrain also make it nearly impossible to do a smooth job. They are quite a bit bigger than traditional weed whackers, making it hard to get into tight spaces. They do work fine out in the open over smooth terrain, but a cheap push mower would work just as well. If they were all the hype the commercials make them out to be, you would see commercial landscapers using them.

The DR Trimmer did come with a blade that does actually work great for cutting down small trees and clearing brush. It makes it easy to cut the tree off level with the ground with less effort than a chainsaw.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

They have pros and cons, uneven ground "in the woods" not good, around the house and raised boarders "RxR ties" gardens on even ground Great, does take the load of your back , not as good in tight places, I have one and love it. it's pull start and cranks on one pull , you can get a BIG Roll of line and Save a lot of cash, but you have to measure and cut your own line, I use one for a template and cut a a bunch at one time and put them in a Zip lock bag and hang it on the machine so when I need to replace the line it's ready to go. The big wheel models work better on uneven ground , they work good along fence lines too. Try pushing one at the store to get the feel, plus they have a lot of adjustments to make operating easier, if you shop around you can get some good deals and save come cash. I have a POULAN with the Briggs and Stratton engine , Pushes so easy my Wife uses it and will run it till it runs out of gas.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Get an electric one "plugin type", they don't weigh much more than a beer :thumbup: and I've seen folks carry around a can of beer for hours and not git tired :-D :smt004 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”